• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on steering box rebuild

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
So - Im looking into having my (stock, 300k miles) steering box rebuilt. It is out of the Jeep now. Rebuilder says they replace the bearings...I've heard it's better to reuse the originals, as the new ones may be slightly differently sized, and wear out quicker... am I wrong here? Are some brands of bearings better than others? Any other tips on getting a box rebuilt?

1991 XJ 4.0 5-speed, stock... thanks

Most will advise you to just purchase a remanufacturer unit vs rebuilding it on your own.

Part of the reason is that steering gears experience more wear in the straight ahead position and it could be possible that when taking excessive play out, you will create a bind when you turn the wheels to less worn section.

That said, I would still attempt a rebuild and pay close attention to the parts I'm not replacing.

As far as the bearings, I'd check them. If they are still good, tight, with no galling, run them. They don't get used like bearings in other locations.

I forget what bearings I used on a Durango box. I still have not used it. Also, one of the main bearings is a unit bearing of a flange thrust and a diameter bearing. I couldn't find a replacement for it. I would look into Red Top or Blue Top to rebuild your gear box.

Thanks for the info. I am in fact having Blue-Top rebuild it. But I had purchased two replacement boxes from BT that were both too tight/stiff to steer/no return to center. BT Has suggested they rebuild my original box, and will make it less tight (but still no play.)

I am leaning towards having this done. I am somewhat worried about sending off my original box, so I want to get the best rebuild I can. So if my bearings are fine I have heard it's better to reuse them. I want this thing to work like it originally did.

Are there any other tips/info I need to convey for this rebuild. I've watched plenty of videos but never done one myself. I know it's what they do at BT, but I need this thing to come out perfect, so I'm sending it with some specific instructions.

Thx much for any info!

-TJ

I don't know what brands of bearings are available for the gear boxes. I would say KOYO, and NICHI are good for off shore. National, Timken, SKF and some others.
I've only rebuilt or more likely resealed 3-4 gear boxes. Not sure what to spec on them. I do think Mercedes specs is better than what is in the XJ FSM. 3-7 inch-lbs on the main shaft, then add about 5 inch lbs to that for the sector shaft. From the '98 FSM to the '00 FSM, the technique changed.
I though BT didn't use after market gear boxes to rebuild.

I don't know what brands of bearings are available for the gear boxes. I would say KOYO, and NICHI are good for off shore. National, Timken, SKF and some others.
I've only rebuilt or more likely resealed 3-4 gear boxes. Not sure what to spec on them. I do think Mercedes specs is better than what is in the XJ FSM. 3-7 inch-lbs on the main shaft, then add about 5 inch lbs to that for the sector shaft. From the '98 FSM to the '00 FSM, the technique changed.
I though BT didn't use after market gear boxes to rebuild.

I used to work for a remanufacturer of rack and pinion steering gears. Other than over boring the pinion bore to accept a steel inner sleeve, all that was basically done was clean and reseal.

If any parts were out of spec, we replaced them but for a steering gear, not much really wears. The biggest issue is sludge buildup, leaks and the occasional wear in the straight ahead position.

Well that and with aluminum rack and pinion, the Teflon impregnated pinion seals cut nice grooves in the bore. Our replacement units with the steel sleeve were actually better than OE.

Thanks for the replies. 75SV1: yes BT gears are remans. Thanks for the specific info on tightening. Old Man Minimalist..hm.. Old Man been a source of some really good info over the years....

Thx.. any other tips greatly appreciated

- TJ

Back