• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OZ Tent anyone?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Wondering if anyone here has an OZ Tent, i'm considering dumping the RTT and trailer plans for another ground tent.

I will admit getting my RTT had a bit of the cool factor a few years back, but mostly it was a back injury and setting up a ground tent i wanted to get away from. Now i want away from a RTT on the rig, and possibly away from the fuel consumption of pulling a trailer. Dont get me wrong, the RTT IS comfortable and the best option i'v found for myself so far.

The 30 second setup of this tent has me considering. If your unfamiliar check this link..

http://us.oztent.com/Oztent-Shop/

I would think that dealing with a bad back wouldn't be good with one of those. I could be wrong but they look heavy as hell. Do you really want to lift one in and out of your Jeep? For that matter, where would you put it?

I would think that dealing with a bad back wouldn't be good with one of those. I could be wrong but they look heavy as hell. Do you really want to lift one in and out of your Jeep? For that matter, where would you put it?

I dunno Ryan, looks easy enough by this video.

http://us.oztent.com/the-30-second-tent.asp

Weight is around 50-60lbs for the mid to upper sizes, easy enough to toss up on a set of Thule crossbars and strap down.

I'm not sold on the idea, afterall it is still a ground tent and probably prone to the same issues most are. I think it might be a bit warm inside during warmer weather too.

Just wondering what owners think of em is all. I DO like the RTT..

I have seen these in person at various shows near me. These are just a few impressions I had.

Pros:
They look well built. Seem like the would be sturdy.

Cons:
Personally, I think they are damn pricey for what they are. They are kinda heavy. Seem like they would attract a lot of wind (though if its sturdy, its sturdy). Also, they take up a lot of room folded up. To fit it inside the jeep, you would need the rear seat folded and it would take up a lot of room.

Just my 0.02 cents after seeing them.

Thanks for the input Jake. It seems the products coming from down under are always a good solid quality, i dont mind paying a premium for such.

I'll have to think the trailer/rtt through. I do have most everything here.. just need to do the work.

BTW- your package should arrive today.

I'm expecting 2-3MPG loss?

Hope to start working on it this weekend, get it ready for a fall trip..maybe Maine.

Ah, not done yet.

How much wind resistance you think i twill have? I'm only quizzing you because my light and small M416 doesn't effect me at all, but like I said it's light and it also tucks into already disturbed air so as they say your mileage may vary.

Personally I'd like to either get a stupid cheap AT Horizon or build a clone for family camping trips. I love my M416 but I won't cut it up, it's too purty.

I'm thinking an elevated frame to set the RTT on, so i can gain access to cargo from the sides. It would be nice to be tall enough to walk under, but that puts it close to poking above the Jeep i think... i say think because the new rig isnt lifted yet.

I sold my M100 because i didnt want to cut it up.. i understand.

I'll resurect the trailer thread i started when i actually do something to it this weekend.

The Conquerer Basecamp i pulled up from Ga was a heavy bitch at 1700 dry, that stole every bit of 3+ MPG. My buds 416 and my RTT was better.. maybe 1-2 mpg?

I'm thinking an elevated frame to set the RTT on, so i can gain access to cargo from the sides. It would be nice to be tall enough to walk under, but that puts it close to poking above the Jeep i think... i say think because the new rig isnt lifted yet.

Maybe telescoping mounts with a bottle jack to assist raising it if needed? That way you can tuck it in for ease of travel and raise it up when setting base camp.

Which size are you considering? I'm definitely concerned about the weather handling of it. I couldn't personally justify the set up time for the weight/space/weather compared to having another ground tent and tarp.

I lose about 4mpg towing my MJ trailer/Wildernest with the V8 WJ, and I lost about the same with the 4.0 in the old XJ, although if I tried to make the XJ go fast while towing which it didn't want to do, it was worse than that.

that OZ tent is pretty slick, but their website was being quirky this morning -- whats the pricing on them?

We just bought the jet tent. F25X. It is the new version of the Oz tent. This is a link to the US dealer we bought ours from.
http://www.familytentcamping.com/site/1406228
and the tent we bought
http://www.familytentcamping.com/site/1406228/product/F25X
As jake said their are pro's and con's
Price yes expensive but look at what you get in a RTT ( sort of same construction) and those are easily twice the price.
We decide we were sick or going through $200 - $350 nylon tents. My wife loves to camp but likes tents that are larger than backpack style tents. I have never really found any nylon tent that will keep you dry in a rain rain storm other than a expensive for the size backpack tent. Not trying to sell anyone on these i am just very impressed with the construction and quailty so far ( we just got ours). This weekend will be the first real test. we have had it set up in the yard a couple of times and it does set up real easy...now yes it is heavy as hell mainly due to the thick canvas material. Our F25X is 64lbs. It does come with a great heavy duty duffel bag to carry and store everything. Send me a PM or chime in here if you have a question i may be able to answer.

John

Maybe telescoping mounts with a bottle jack to assist raising it if needed? That way you can tuck it in for ease of travel and raise it up when setting base camp.

The good Dr did something similar, Thule ladder racks iirc? I'v seen discussion over at EXPO on this but havent seen a good system implemented.

Which size are you considering? I'm definitely concerned about the weather handling of it. I couldn't personally justify the set up time for the weight/space/weather compared to having another ground tent and tarp.

I was thinking the RV4, maybe 5. I'd like a bit of room inside for a Queen mattress and a chair for bad weather.

I lose about 4mpg towing my MJ trailer/Wildernest with the V8 WJ, and I lost about the same with the 4.0 in the old XJ, although if I tried to make the XJ go fast while towing which it didn't want to do, it was worse than that.

that OZ tent is pretty slick, but their website was being quirky this morning -- whats the pricing on them?

I think the RV4 is around a grand, but occasionally they popup used.

Any idea on the weight of your trailer combo? Does it set above the towrig roofline at all?

We just bought the jet tent. F25X. It is the new version of the Oz tent. This is a link to the US dealer we bought ours from.
http://www.familytentcamping.com/site/1406228
and the tent we bought
http://www.familytentcamping.com/site/1406228/product/F25X
As jake said their are pro's and con's
Price yes expensive but look at what you get in a RTT ( sort of same construction) and those are easily twice the price.
We decide we were sick or going through $200 - $350 nylon tents. My wife loves to camp but likes tents that are larger than backpack style tents. I have never really found any nylon tent that will keep you dry in a rain rain storm other than a expensive for the size backpack tent. Not trying to sell anyone on these i am just very impressed with the construction and quailty so far ( we just got ours). This weekend will be the first real test. we have had it set up in the yard a couple of times and it does set up real easy...now yes it is heavy as hell mainly due to the thick canvas material. Our F25X is 64lbs. It does come with a great heavy duty duffel bag to carry and store everything. Send me a PM or chime in here if you have a question i may be able to answer.

John

I'm gonna check that out now...

If you would take some pics this weekend.

The good Dr did something similar, Thule ladder racks iirc? I'v seen discussion over at EXPO on this but havent seen a good system implemented.
I did indeed.

This winter I installed four 50 Lb gas struts and now I can raise it up and down by myself. Makes packing and unpacking the trailer so much easier. The only gripe I have is that I wish I would have gone with 75 Lb struts instead. You still have to put a little muscle into it to get the tent up.

Any idea on the weight of your trailer combo? Does it set above the towrig roofline at all?

Ballparking the weight, its probably a bit over 1k, as the Wildernest weighs a shitton. I believe empty the trailer is around 500lbs. It is pretty much flush with the top of the WJ, as it has roughly 3" of lift.

I'm gonna check that out now...

If you would take some pics this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Will do. The thing we liked about the Jet Tent over the OZ is if you look at the packed sizes and vidoes from the link i gave you will notice the Jet packes up shorter so it will fit in the jeep. we also fel the jet would stand up to wind better. They both have very strong Guy lines and lots of them. The F25X fits a queen air bed in the extension area with room to spare.

john

First time with the tent other than test set-ups in the back yard. The site we had was packed in with a bunch of friends for the holiday weekend but you will get the idea. I have to say this tent i the best tent we have ever had. Weekend ended in with the storm system that produced a couple of tornados. All tent and awning is the camp ground were down except for ours. The night before it was blowing in the upper 20's and the lesser tents would lay down and then pop back up. ours hardley moved. In these pics the tent is not staked out as much as it could have been due only to the amount of room we had. The tent truly does set up and pack in two min. except for the stakeing out of the guy lines and such. Hope these pics help. Will take better ones on next trip.
John
JETTENT3.jpg

JETTENT2.jpg

More pics. you can see how much room the tent has. Again this is a F25X. We have a queen air bed in the back with plenty of room on both sides of it. a full size action packer , two full size coolers, camp kistchen, dry food and coths duffel bag in the front area with lots of room left over.....

JETTENT1.jpg

JETTENT5.jpg

JETTENT4.jpg

Wow those are some stout looking poles. I'm definitely impressed by the space as well.

Back