• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj still getting Hot.

Really? I seen a guy on YouTube that put a tee in for the heater core hoses. You know the part number by chance?

Hesco sells one that they claim works on the XJ upper hose, but the hose fittings on the adapter are 5/8" or 9/16" while the upper XJ hose is 3/4". I can say from experience that the fitting works, but the hose clamps have to be cinched down very tight. Four Seasons sells the same fitting for a lower price. This fitting has a 3/8" NPT fitting, so it will most likely require a reducer bushing for the sensor.

GlowShift sells one (19 mm = 3/4") that is a good fit for the heater hose. This one is made for a 1/8" NPT sensor.

For what it's worth, I recently changed my timing chain (2001, 190K miles) because it was leaking oil from the front cover and I figured I might as well change everything if I was going to take it apart, and there was a noticeable improvement in cooling.

I was involved in some of the recent cooling threads and someone mentioned that our timing chains are pretty stretched by ~150K. IIRC, FSM says to change it if there is 1/2" or more of deflection and there was definitely more than 1/2" on mine.

BTW, this is an awesome thread on radiators because many forum users participated and it spans 3 years with follow up on the radiators that they installed. What I found interesting was the Mishimoto radiators. When new, they are awesome, but they tend to get clogged over time and everyone who installed one eventually went with something else. Makes me think a coolant filter would be a good addition to our XJs.
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1150722

Guys I’m literally stumped. I’ve had my motor apart 5 times replaced everything on my cooling system. New fan clutch new auxiliary fan. Wired it to a toggle switch. New 180 degree thermostat. New cylinder head. New 2 row radiator. Installed a mechanical temperature guage to I can actually read the temperature. And now when I’m driving around town it stays cool 190 or below. When I get on the interstate and am pulling a hill it climbs to 230. My next option is taking the thermostat out and see how it reads but this thing should be running cold now.

Torque converter locking up at speed?

Well guys after yanking out the Chinese aluminum radiator and installing the spectra premium in there. It is running great I had the ac going and one the interstate trying to get it hot and I couldn’t get it above 190. So I’m a happy camper now.

Yep. Surprisingly the cheap, spectra replacement radiators available anywhere are probably the best option for most drivers! I mean, it cools my jeep in the extremely harsh postal conditions, so daily driving should be a piece of cake! Glad this situation got solved.

Yeah I’m glad it’s back going again and running good. Thanks for all the help guys. One of the last few things I’m gonna have to do with it I believe is fix this steering issue. Gonna order new tie rods next week but.. do you all know if I can order a rubber bushing kit for the front? Not polyurethane. That will do the control arms and sway bar etc. or would I have to order it all individually?

I've never seen a bushing "kit", but they are all readily available.

Back