• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few questions about 1994 XJ

sinat01

NAXJA Forum User
So I get the task of helping my cousin fix up her first vehicle which happens to be a 94 XJ Sport. It has the smoothest running 4.0 I have ever heard but lots of rust and a few other issues.

One of the main issues I'm worried about is It has a NV-242 transfer case.
I personally have a 231 in mine so I am not familiar with this case at all. the issue I'm having with it is I cant get it out of 2wd, its like its stuck and the leaver doesn't wanna move. Do these jeeps have to be in neutral to get them to shift? or is something messed up? the transfer case does have an oil leak so it is prolly low on oil. which I could see being an issue. I just wanna get some info before I tear into it.

Also how many differences are their engine wise between a 94 4.0 and an early 99 4.0 so I know of any snags I may run into while working in the engine bay?

Another issue is this jeep has the ABS light on so I'm assuming it has a bad sensor, is there a way to test this?

Whats the chances this jeep has a factory LSD in the rear end? I know it has a D35 due to the ABS

From your Google research, I hope you have discovered that the NP-242 is stubborn to shift, especially if it is not regularly used. You have also discovered that the stock transfer case shifter mechanism is overly complicated, and prone to both faulty bushings, and rust.

A 4.0 is a 4.0, aside from minor differences in the engine management, there are no significant differences across the years. While you are servicing the transfer case fluid, and the differentials, you can check for the optional Limited Slip carrier.

Last edited:
My 88 has the tow package with the LSD. It has a small metal tag on the rear that says to use LSD lube only.

From your Google research, you have discovered that the NP-242 is stubborn to shift, especially if it is not regularly used. You have also discovered that the stock transfer case shifter mechanism is overly complicated, and prone to both faulty bushings, and rust.

A 4.0 is a 4.0, aside from minor differences in the engine management, there are no significant differences across the years. While you are servicing the transfer case fluid, and the differentials, you can check for the optional Limited Slip carrier.

Thank ya. ill most likely have her get an aftermarket linkage for it, they are so much simpler and reliable than the stock junk

My first XJ was a 1994 model and yes, the engine ran smoother cooler and better mileage than the 1996 I have now. I did replace the master cylinder and brake booster. The braking was light years better with the newer dual diaphragm system. I still prefer the 1994 than the 1996.

Sorry, I only know the NV231 T-case.

Back