• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which is easier to setup correctly: Dana 35 or 8.25

bpatto10

NAXJA Forum User
I may need to get my axle rebuilt again (long story). If I do need to rebuild it, I was thinking about using a Dana 35 vice the existing 8.25. The reason is that I don't off road (only forest service roads during hunting season), and I don't run anything other than stock tires (215/75r15 or 225/75r15). The only experienced re-builder in town has retired, but I recall he often complained about the difficulty of setting up the Chrysler 8.25. There is a local automotive training college nearby that will do this for free as practice for their students (under supervision of course) if you supply the gears and bearings. As such, I would like to enhance the chances of success as much as possible.

Is one inherently quieter and/or easier to set up?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have read all the debates of 8.25 vs Dana 35 for rock crawling. I am well aware of the Dana 35 limitations in this area.

1996 Jeep XJ, 237 K, 4.0L, AW4, 8.25, 4WD

If you are staying "stock", why not just go to a pick-n-pull and grab another whole 8.25 axle? Would probably be a wash cost-wise of installing new gears vs. buying a used axle you can basically just bolt in.

Just by the ease of installation, the 8.25" because of it's spanner adjusters mean less press work!

Back