• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear setup necessary ?

mr_W

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

First, I'm not sure if this is correct forum (should it go to Modified Tech ??), but anyway.. I'm curious what exactly inside differential is the reason for need to use shims for setting it up properly ?

I'm about to change pinion bearing(s) on my old 35, and wonder would I need to reset gears ? I would better like not to mess with that if I not need. I know that if you change R&P, new setup with shims is a must, but are bearings immune to this ??

Thanks!

I set up gear sets and I'm going out on a limb not really knowing your machinical abilities and the tools you have at your disposal, but I will say leave it to some one who knows what they are doing and has tools(press, dial indicator, pinion depth guage, etc.).

Better yet just get another D-35 out of a yard and swap the whole rear end. The complete axle brake to brake should only be $100-150, and will only take a couple hours to swap.

Just noticed your location, I do not know what the price/availability would be in Serbia, that makes this question harder to answer.

Question...why are you going to replace the pinion bearings?

You MIGHT be okay replacing the pinion bearings and not having to reset the gears. But you never know. Getting the pinion backlash is the hardest part of setting up a gearset.

IN your case, I think the difficult part would be getting the bearing races out without destroying the shims. But, with used gearsets, they allow for more slop in the tolerances when setting them up.

Why did the pinion bearings fail in the first place?

@xjtrailrider
Well, it happens to be that I'm more on do-it-yourself side, and also I have the tools needed. Just that this would be my first time doing the gears. And I figured out, if I'm going to do it, better do it on 35 than on something else that I'm going to swap in later this year anyway.

Also, if you notice where I'm from, I can tell you that there are no junkyards with cheap jeep parts. I'm just on the wrong side of the ocean for that matter :|

@KarlVP, old_man

Bearings are failing indeed. I have that horrible whining noise whenever theres torque applied to driveshaft. I've gone over this many times, and checked everything. Theres even some noticeable left-right-up-down play on pinion yoke. They are busted thats for sure.

But in fact, the only thing that I'd like to keep that 35 is because it got 4.10 gears in it already, and they fit nicely with my moderate 31" tires.

Thanks.

I've changed them on 44s and never had a problem, but I may have been just lucky.
Get some R&P set-up directions at one of the many 4x4 sites and just take your time and check as you go.
Could the extreme cold over there cause the pinion bearing wear??

Back