• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extremely Urgent Johnson Valley Action Needed

Bakerhab

NAXJA Forum User
A little background. See press release below.

Harry talked to Senator Feinstein's Deputy State Director, James Peterson, on Friday. Peterson made the comment that there was very low usage of the Johnson Valley area. Peterson is basing his comment on the fact that the only data that was provided by the BLM was for permitted events. (55 events 100,000 users). Since JV is not a gated or fee area, that's the only count the BLM has. I think that it is ridiculous and it absolutely DOES NOT take in to consideration the casual users, the residents, or anyone else that visits the area.

We are asking people to send a message to Feinstein that indeed, WE DO COUNT.

We desperately need people to provide their usage data. The number of times they visit JV, the number of days of each visit and the number of people in their group each visit. Economic data is useful as well as it shows our value to the local community.

Here is Peterson's direct email, please ask your people to use this email address.
[email protected]

Thank you,
Helen Baker
www.pfjv.org

Please Forward Extremely time sensitive

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 8, 2009

By Wayne Nosala

Mark Howlett Contact Harry Baker

PFJV Chair

818-370-3582

[email protected]

DIANNE FEINSTEIN STAFF INDICATES JOHNSON VALLEY IS INFREQUENTLY USED BY RECREATING PUBLIC

"The Partnership for Johnson Valley urges users of Johnson Valley to email Senator Feinstein’s office with a personal message to keep the 189,000-acre multiple-use area as public land

Glendale, CA - The Partnership for Johnson Valley (PFJV) has recently become aware that United States Senator, Dianne Feinstein has been briefed that Johnson Valley sees little use from the public. The information, while ill-advised, supports the highly controversial marine base acquisition of the popular Johnson Valley. Unfortunately, the information given to Senator Feinstein’s office is unfounded and lacks specific stakeholder-use data that has already been disclosed to multiple public agencies including The San Bernardino County Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt, the US Marine Corps and adjoining townships to Johnson Valley.

“A meeting has been scheduled with Feinstein’s staff on Tuesday, March 10th to discuss the multiple users of Johnson Valley as well as other issues,” says Harry Baker, Chair of the Partnership. The PFJV leadership team have traveled throughout California over the last twelve months advising agencies as well as stakeholder groups regarding the possible closure of the Johnson Valley desert land. The Partnership has documented there are over 750,000 annual usage days of Johnson Valley from diverse groups ranging from the film Industry, scouting organizations, equestrians, flying clubs and off highway organized sports groups.” Closure of Johnson Valley would be a significant loss for all of California as well as the nation, based on stakeholder usage data. This is especially noteworthy since the Marines can expand their training operations to the east of the existing base, public land that is mostly unused.

The Partnership is asking all users of Johnson Valley to email Senator Feinstein’s office a short personal message stating what specific affect a Marine takeover of Johnson Valley would have on you, your family, business, friends, or any other impact. Specifically, Visits days per year, How many in your group, and how much you contribute to the local economy

Please take a brief moment to visit Senator Feinstein’s email message center located here:

http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactUs.EmailMe</B>

Simply complete the fields and leave a brief message. Senator Feinstein’s staff has informed the Partnership that they will not accept “letter generator” type emails. Please use the above link to leave a personal message. Alternatively, you can fax a letter to Senator Feinstein’s Los Angeles office at: 310-914-7318. The Partnership’s target deadline for this urgent action is Tuesday morning.

The Partnership is seeking donations, Please visit www.PFJV.org for details​

About The Partnership for Johnson Valley:

The leadership of the Partnership For Johnson Valley has been cooperatively working with the military and the affected Stakeholders in an effort to explore alternatives to the proposed land expansion. The PFJV is a division of the 501(c)3 California Trail Users Coalition led by Harry Baker, Chairman with Mark Howlett as Executive Director, Wayne Nosala as Secretary and directors Ray Pessa and Helen Baker. The Mission of the Partnership is to unite the many people who enjoy the diverse activities available in the multiple-use open access area of Johnson Valley. The Partnership’s charter is to promote responsible recreation and the use of desert resources through conservation and education. The goal of the Partnership is to ensure public open-access to the area in the present, and to future generations who Live, Work, and Recreate in Johnson Valley. For more information and updates, please visit www.PFJV.org.
###

People, please take a moment to let our Senator know that you exist.
We all use JV and I have never entered any 'registered events' out there.
If we all spent five minutes of our time sending her an e-mail they won't be able to use low usage as a reason to give JV up.

I know it seems that all I do anymore is ask you to send letters. Well, now I'm asking you to send an E-mail..

Thanks my friends.
Your forever grateful off road friend..

Rick

Here's what I just wrote:

I'm writing you to let you know that the recent "information" you've received about Johnson Valley off highway area, and it's surrounding areas from James Peterson is completely false. To say the area is not frequently used by offroad enthusiasts is asinine and shows reckless abandonment of his duties as a Deputy State Director. Perhaps he, or yourself, should travel from behind the desk you sit at, to some of these recreational areas. Find out for yourself instead of basing your so called factual information on poorly recorded numbers. I'd be willing to bet you that you could not go one weekend out in Johnson Valley without seeing 100's of people enjoying the area in NUMEROUS different ways. I ask you to please reconsider who you send to gather information and HOW they gather information.

comments sent,and I was kinda nice :D

Could someone please edit my Post #1 to show the correct email address for James Peterson? My brain is fried I think. Thanks, Helen

Here is Peterson's CORRECT direct email, please ask your people to use this email address.
[email protected]

It's james (underscore) peterson

Thank you,
Helen Baker
www.pfjv.org

Sending it

I hate this woman and the incompetent people she hires.

E-Mail away

My message to Mr. Peterson:

Dear Mr. Peterson;

I have heard that you commented about Johnson Valley that it has "low usage". I beg to differ sir. It seems the information you got was based on only a very small part of the total usage of the area, recorded data on "event permits". I want you to know that Johnson Valley is the United States' premier rock crawling and off roading area. I visit there at least 4 times a year and I take a group of 4-6 with me each time. Every time I am there I see more than 100 people making use of the area in a variety of ways. I urge you to be more diligent in finding more accurate ways to determine the usage of the area. It is your responsibility when you present information to elected officials to present well researched and accurate information. Thank you for your time.

My message to Mr. Peterson:

Dear Mr. Peterson;

I have heard that you commented about Johnson Valley that it has "low usage". I beg to differ sir. It seems the information you got was based on only a very small part of the total usage of the area, recorded data on "event permits". I want you to know that Johnson Valley is the United States' premier rock crawling and off roading area. I visit there at least 4 times a year and I take a group of 4-6 with me each time. Every time I am there I see more than 100 people making use of the area in a variety of ways. I urge you to be more diligent in finding more accurate ways to determine the usage of the area. It is your responsibility when you present information to elected officials to present well researched and accurate information. Thank you for your time.
His reply:
[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your email John. Despite what you may have seen in blog reports, I never made any such comment. I am very aware of the concerns about BLM use numbers, and I do not rely on them as my sole source of information on Johnson Valley visitation. Johnson Valley is certainly one of the most heavily used recreation areas in the state and I hope to get input from all who have data to help me determine a reliable estimate. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on the subject.[/FONT]

People, please take a moment to let our Senator know that you exist.
We all use JV and I have never entered any 'registered events' out there.

I hope you all realize that this is a double edge sword. Admit that you do attend organized events regularly (e.g.: Goatfest) and you admit to violating the law by participating in an organized event without the proper BLM permits.

Which way do you want to lie?

I hope you all realize that this is a double edge sword. Admit that you do attend organized events regularly (e.g.: Goatfest) and you admit to violating the law by participating in an organized event without the proper BLM permits.

And what constitutes an "event"?

I pulled off the road the other day and drove on the dirt shoulder... is that an event?

i go four wheeling with my friends on new years, does that constitute an event? it is planned and we collect money for dinner, i advertise about it on here, does that constitute an event?? i got to the biggest event of the year amongst friends, we go to the river for the 4Th of July and watch the fireworks with about 150k other people, does that constitute an event??? no, we don't pay, it is all open use territory and we inconvenience no one but neither do we collect any money for any other reason than food and fireworks. where does it specify that we need, where we need and when we need a permit???? just curious

on the same note, if they know we use the heck out of the land, you can eventually expect to start paying land use fees some time in the near future!!!

I didn't lie at all.
I have never entered any event in JV. I have also never been to Goatfest.

There are many 'below the radar' get togethers out in JV, I don't believe there is a size limit for these. As far as I know the BLM only requires permits for fee events. Still, I have never paid to wheel in JV (aside from the damage to my Jeep!)

Still, we all need to take a moment and send that e-mail to our Senators.

Get on it!

Thanks

on the same note, if they know we use the heck out of the land, you can eventually expect to start paying land use fees some time in the near future!!!
I'm O.K. with paying reasonable land use fees if it means that we will be able to use the land as we see fit in accordance with applicable laws. The problem with fees is who decides how they are to be spent.

I'm O.K. with paying reasonable land use fees if it means that we will be able to use the land as we see fit in accordance with applicable laws. The problem with fees is who decides how they are to be spent.

The problem with fees is that almost none of it ever gets spent they way we are told it will be.

Back