• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with lug nuts :/

TL-Iguana

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 Cherokee, and I just spent some fairly decent coin on wheels and tires. I want to get a set of anti theft lug nuts for it, but every auto shop here that Ive been to tells me that I need to know the thread pitch of the stock ones! Well, before i take a nut off and go into the store again I thought Id ask the gurus here :D :worship:

I am hoping someone knows what I need!! I guess it would be in the example of m12 x 1.5 or something... I know thats not correct but thats the sort of number I would need to bring into the shop to get them :) I think someone once mentioned 1/2" x 20 RH but im afraid Im a noob when it comes to lug nuts

Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks guys and gals :D

I believe XJ lugs were 1/2"-20 (the "RH" is for "right hand thread" - and can be assumed. If the callout where 1/2"-20LH, that means a "left hand thread.") all the way up.

If you want to be sure, just go there, take one off, and walk inside with it. There's usually a stud board that they can run the thing down on and then you'll all know.

Thanks so much guys!!
:worship:

This is why I feel so at home on NAXJA! I guess i need to post some pics of my rig one of these days, now that Im not as embarrassed to be driving a lifted jeep on stock wheels and tires... Finally my babys grown out of her training wheels and into a real XJ

While you are out pick up a tube of anti-seize. Use it on the threads as per normal but also wipe some on the underside of the lug nut where it contacts your wheel. Not only will it help with torqing your wheels on, it will help prevent galling the seat for your lugs.

Bent said:
While you are out pick up a tube of anti-seize. Use it on the threads as per normal but also wipe some on the underside of the lug nut where it contacts your wheel. Not only will it help with torqing your wheels on, it will help prevent galling the seat for your lugs.

Reduce installation torque by half if using never-seez, or you've a good chance of tearing the threads off of the stud/out of the nut...

5-90 said:
Reduce installation torque by half if using never-seez, or you've a good chance of tearing the threads off of the stud/out of the nut...
:rolleyes:
Details, details, details!

Back