• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

longer roofrack

bobbyc04

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 xj sport, and want to get a pre 1999 roofrack since they are longer from front to back and will handle longer ladders better. What do you guys recommend? Should I go to a pick n pull and look for one that is in good condition? Are they hard to put on?
Bob C
www.sonnet.com/bob/jeep/

I´ve been looking at the roof rack (like) on my wifes 96, for my 88. They look a lot sturdier. Doubt the bolts will line up. don´t know for sure. One guy on the modified board, mentioned using large washers under the roof liner, for strength (taking the liner down is a pain). But then again I had an 87, with an after market roof OEM type roof rack, that I sheet metal screwed (with a little sealer around the screws) to the roof, that never did give me any problems. Though I did go and buy some better screws, than what were supplied with the kit.
I´m now using a solid made HD, two rail gutter mount, that has messed up my gutter mouldings, but is really solid (has like 6-7" gutter clamps, 1 1/4" cross bars). Has a kit to go with it for a couple of bicycles. Didn´t want to ding up and/or scratch up the OEM rack on my 88.

the newer style XJs did have a full length roof rack available.. expect to drill holes... i did just the oposite.. i put a newer rack on my 87 XJ... all the hole slined up except the forward most and rear most mount.. 4 holes 1/2" dia. and some RTV did the job.. your newer XJ has a solid-mounted nut-sert (like a blind rivet with threads down into it.. the older style has rubber mounted inserts.. i have yet to find a vendor that has the exact item... if you want to carry ladders i would look at some gutter-mount racks and not drill the roof....

sidriptide said:
if you want to carry ladders i would look at some gutter-mount racks and not drill the roof....

Agree. I'd look into the Yakima or Thule racks. I have a Yakima and have used it on my 89 and 98 they are really strong and you can adjust them to how ever long you need.

Back