• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Need Some Nuts

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
BOLTS, screws, u clips, everything new to attach our Jeep parts together. So much talk about everything else BUT, having a hard time finding mounting hardware RETAIL. Where do "all y'all" (a Texas term) shop. Especially when you don't know what it's called or good at ID'ing the items.

By the way, NO WAY I am spending $3.75 for ONE (1) bolt from the dealer.

I can't even find a "hardware" section on ANY of the 4X4 or Jeep website sellers.

HELP HELP...PLEASE.

Rob

If I can't find a good subsitute at the nut and bolt shop, we have Fastners in my neck-of-the-woods (a Great Pacific Northwest term), then I go to my local wrecking yard and get what I need. Good Luck

Woody

i dont know why people hate dealers. their prices are what they are because they carry the right parts, if you can get used parts well ok but remember they are used. but it might be ok as long as you arent subjected to rusty seized fasteners like some of us in other parts of the country

Well, in NJ I used to go to a place called 'Schaffers Supply' in Dover NJ on Rt 46, its an industrial tool and part supply store that had everything I ever needed including those fasteners that hold door panels and stuff on. Over 5 years of use I NEVER stumped the guy. He might dissapear into the back room for 15 min [I think he had a machine shop back there cause I could swear some of the bolts and stuff were still warm when he handed em to me :D ] but when he walked back out he had it..
Here in PA we have a 'Fastner supply store' same type of place only newer, stumped him ONCE and ended up going to the local 'been there since the beginning of time' hardware store, HE had it... place has 3 40ft isles of nuts, bolts, cotter pins, in brass, copper, stainless, all grades, hitch pins and stuff I have never seen before and have no idea how they are used. You have to have some places like that around, ask one of your local farmers where they go...

I do the same as Rich P, except for a few special fasteners, leaf spring eye bolts and such. Always affraid the one time, I get a Chinese counterfit, it will be someplace, I really need the real Mc Coy.
Dealers around here, save there shelf stock, for the in house mechanics and often say they have to order, your hardware special. Real bumber waiting a week, for the wrong bolt.
Find a good hardwear retailer/wholesaler and treat them well, they are worth there wieght in gold.
I buy junkyard hardware by the box, nice to have a cheap selection on hand for projects. I´ve bought pallets of mixed, nuts and bolts, at military surplus auctions, for the price of scrap steel. Airports and airplane salvage warehouses are also a gold mine. Heim joints, anti-siphone check valves (roll over check valves) senders, wire, heat exchangers, all sorts of neat stuff.

I've got three places that I go to. The first is a metal supply shop. The second is my local True Value/Ace hardware. They've got two aisles of the plastic drawers that have everything from metric wingnuts to fender bolts to the plastic pieces to attack door panels, anything and everything. Third is my local Home Depot (they had the metric wingnuts to do the homebrew swaybar disconnects).

Well, in my unit we end up going "sears and roebucking" i.e. going through ALL of our parts bins looking for something w/ the same characteristics, etc. . . . panel screws and washers are the biggest things that we go sears and roebucking for. if not, we go to the guys next door and see if they got it. but thats how we do it in the army.

what exactly are ya lookin for? I got lots of parts on my parts rig that are gonna get trashed let me know what bolts and stuff.
DIG IT

jneary said:
i dont know why people hate dealers. their prices are what they are because they carry the right parts, if you can get used parts well ok but remember they are used. but it might be ok as long as you arent subjected to rusty seized fasteners like some of us in other parts of the country

I don't hate dealers, I hate thier prices. Their parts aren't pricey because they are the "right parts", their parts are pricey because of the massive markup they apply to them. Never judge a part because of who's selling it. Lot's of OEM parts suck and lots of OEM parts are great. I try and get good parts for a good price.

ladywolf said:
Well, in my unit we end up going "sears and roebucking" i.e. going through ALL of our parts bins looking for something w/ the same characteristics, etc. . . . panel screws and washers are the biggest things that we go sears and roebucking for. if not, we go to the guys next door and see if they got it. but thats how we do it in the army.

you better find them screws cause "for lack of a nail a kingdom was lost" :D

Rocketman said:
BOLTS, screws, u clips, everything new to attach our Jeep parts together. So much talk about everything else BUT, having a hard time finding mounting hardware RETAIL. Where do "all y'all" (a Texas term) shop. Especially when you don't know what it's called or good at ID'ing the items.

By the way, NO WAY I am spending $3.75 for ONE (1) bolt from the dealer.

I can't even find a "hardware" section on ANY of the 4X4 or Jeep website sellers.

HELP HELP...PLEASE.

Rob

Everytime I'm in a store that could have bolts/nuts/clips/whatchyamacallits I go browse through the appropriate sections. So far I know that great selection of standard stuff can be found @ Ace Hardware and some metric stuff I can get @ Lowes and Home Depot. I used to get all @ Pep Boys till they replaced their bins with those little plastic packages that cost damn near as much as what you're describing the dealer charges. Anyways, most of the supplies are location specific: Wherever you're at there might be a shop that has a better supply then others: be it a tractor supply place or a general store of sorts.
Anyways, when it comes to iding stuff it's good to either bring one with you (broken part or similar), or bring a picture with you (I know of someone that took pics with a digital camer and brought those with him to a store to show what he's looking for).

NAXJA is a good place to look for nuts and loose screws.

RichP said:
Well, in NJ I used to go to a place called 'Schaffers Supply' in Dover NJ on Rt 46

That's where I go all the time also...!!!!! :shhh:

If I really want the "right" part I pony up and pay the dealer. My parts guys are good to me, though, and often they'll sell me one and send me off to The Nutty Company to buy matching fasteners. But even The Nutty Company doesn't have everything.

Auto Zone also has a decent range of automotive fasteners, better than Advance or Pep Boys, but often I'll need 8 or something and they have 2 in stock. After three or four trips back to find that they still haven't restocked I have to get on the manager to correct his inventory and raise the reorder point.

Lowe's also carries automotive fasteners and metric stuff, but their inventory control is worse than Auto Zone's. I think Lowe's leaves it to an outside vendor, so nobody ever goes through the drawers to straighten out the mess customers leave behind.

Back