• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help with automatic transmission problem

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
As I was starting on a trip yesterday, the automatic transmission oi my 90 xj stopped shifting ont he freeway. .
When I gave it gas the engine would rev, but wouldn't increase speed.

I pulled over on the side of freeway and noticed a leak coming from the hose that connects to the radiator, (not sure incoming or outgoing).

I got my xj towed to a mechanic who put on a new hose (he cut off the metal connector so he could attach a hose with hose clamps--not sure if this was a good idea --but didn't know he was going to do it until he was done)

He said the transmission fluid from dipstick showed full.

I am not sure how to read the dipstick, everytime I look it looks full and more,
whether I read it cold or hot--I can't tell where the transmission fluid stops, unlike the oil dipstick the fluid on the transmission dipstick seems to go up a good part of the dipstick past the add and full lines and seems to stick to the dipstick.
I drove my xj it to pep boys to get some more fluid (it doesn't shift up from first gear or go more than 25 mph- and the mechanic at pep boys said it showed full also.

My question-- since I had a leak, and have a problem shifting, does it make sense to put in some more fluid--even if the dipstick reads full, to see if this solves the problem, before I take it to a transmission shop.

It makes sense to me I would have lost some fluid while I had the leak--or why else would it have stopped upshifting.

CAn I put in fluid thru the dipstick and if not what do I need to do. Is there some other way besides checking the dipstick to tell if I need transmission fluid.

Any other advice.

My xj is raised 5 " with 31 inch tires so I can get under it.

I just bought the xj a few months ago. I was told it had a rebuilt transmission about 50,000 miles before, but I don't know when the fluid was last changed.

You have to read the dipstick with the motor running, on fairly level ground. Wipe it and stick it in there, a few times until you get a good read. I sometimes look at the back side of the dipstick, sometimes easier to read than the front.
If your oil looks straw colored or brownish, you probably need a change. Sometimes smells burnt.
It´s said there is a fuse under the glove box, that controls shifts in the AW4 tranny. Mine has never gone out, but I keep the location filed away in the old gray matter, just in case.
I´ve hooked the rubber tranny cooler lines up to the steel lines directly (without the coupling) with a couple of small hose clamps. Worked fine for me.

Do not overfill your automatic Transmission fluid. The service manual says it can cause damage to your transmission (I do not have any personal experience ... thank goodness). I'd say if you check some of the tips you get this thread and still cannot solve the problem, take it to a good tranny shop.

Good Luck ......

Les

Now before you bend over at the tranny mechanic :laugh: Tranny fluid should be checked when warm,engine running in park,on level ground.If its too full drain some out.Next thing is to be sure and test your throttle position sensor for correct voltage,nine times out of ten its your tps sensor.Could just be a coincidence your hose started leaking ?As stated above check that fuse also.Cutting off metal fitting wont hurt ,just a lazy mechanic that takes short cuts on other peoples vehicles.Good luck,keep asking questions somebody here should be able to help.Very rare the aw4 will just go bad,usually a sensor.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now where is the throttle position sensor, and how do I test it for correct voltage. I do have a volt meter.

Also how do I find the fuse.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed its not major work.

Adding fluid made no difference.

The problem was sudden, no previous warning or problem.

MACH90XJ said:
Now before you bend over at the tranny mechanic :laugh: Tranny fluid should be checked when warm,engine running in park,on level ground.If its too full drain some out.Next thing is to be sure and test your throttle position sensor for correct voltage,nine times out of ten its your tps sensor.Could just be a coincidence your hose started leaking ?As stated above check that fuse also.Cutting off metal fitting wont hurt ,just a lazy mechanic that takes short cuts on other peoples vehicles.Good luck,keep asking questions somebody here should be able to help.Very rare the aw4 will just go bad,usually a sensor.

"He said the transmission fluid from dipstick showed full."

Does that mean you didnt lose enough fluid from the leak to add any?Or did the mechanic have to fill it up? if so how much fluid did you actually lose?

TPS is located on the front of the throttle body,the sensor on your right with 2 sets of wires coming off it.One connector controls your transmission shifting the other your throttle position.Heres a link to a good write up that I used to set mine.
http://members.tripod.com/BillyXJ/SENSORS1/index.html

I'm told that its about $2500 to rebuild an aw4,I know a used one out of wrecking yard is $200 to $300.If you go to u-pull-it yard might be cheaper.If you do the work yourself,not very hard at all,you can afford to try a couple til you get a good one.Again I am no expert but the jeep boards show that the aw4 doesnt dies very easily so a used one is probably the most cost effective replacement.Jeepsunlimited is another good research tool for jeeps.

The mechanic said the dipstick showed full and he did not add any fluid.

I added first a pint, then a quart this morning but it made no difference.

MACH90XJ said:
"He said the transmission fluid from dipstick showed full."

Does that mean you didnt lose enough fluid from the leak to add any?Or did the mechanic have to fill it up? if so how much fluid did you actually lose?

TPS is located on the front of the throttle body,the sensor on your right with 2 sets of wires coming off it.One connector controls your transmission shifting the other your throttle position.Heres a link to a good write up that I used to set mine.
http://members.tripod.com/BillyXJ/SENSORS1/index.html

I'm told that its about $2500 to rebuild an aw4,I know a used one out of wrecking yard is $200 to $300.If you go to u-pull-it yard might be cheaper.If you do the work yourself,not very hard at all,you can afford to try a couple til you get a good one.Again I am no expert but the jeep boards show that the aw4 doesnt dies very easily so a used one is probably the most cost effective replacement.Jeepsunlimited is another good research tool for jeeps.

A side note about the TPS.I found out the hard way that the TPS doesnt like water,pressure washed motor and 15 miles down the freeway took exit and tranny wouldnt shift out of first gear.

I tried out my xj for the first time since posting my message on the forum (was out of town for several weeks) and lo and behold it now works fine.
So it looks like the problem was electrical circuits getting wet (big storm before I had athe problem)

Now the person I bought it from had put in vents right above the electrical circuit because it has a stroker engine,

Any suggestions as to how to keep the circuits dry?

It looks like it was the sensor --tried it now after several weeks (I was out of town) and it works down.

It has vents right above the sensor to keep the stroker engine cool

Any suggestions as to how to keep the sensor dry?

MACH90XJ said:

I have read of people putting a rain gutter type system on the bottom side channeling water to the side of the fender well.Try a search for hood vents here and also JU,dont remember which site I seen this on,or start a new post might get you more responses.You definately have to fab something to channel the water away.Good luck !

Back