NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 20th, 2004, 07:09
NAXJA Forum User

.:Speedometer needle jumps back and forth:.

I have a 87' XJ 2-door, 4.0L Renix, auto tranny. My speedometer needle jumps back and forth while I'm driving. Why? Is it an easy fix?
Old October 20th, 2004, 07:21
NAXJA Member #760

Re: .:Speedometer needle jumps back and forth:.

The usual reason for a jumpy speedo is a bad or badly lubed speedometer cable, so I'd consider a new cable. You might try getting some lube down it first, but don't be surprised if it's too late for that.
Old October 20th, 2004, 07:34
NAXJA Forum User

Many times its the cable. Take a look, beginning at the firewall and following it bak to the transfer. Try not to have any sharp bends in the cable or unessary kinks, it works best the straighter the run. Cable doesnt have much extra length in most XJs Ive seen.
The inside of the speedo cable, is like a long spring, it can be removed and greased with graphit grease, usually helps smooth out the action some. The spring/cable is four sided on the end and sometimes after removal is hard to get the spring/cable to go back into the receptical, at the speed sensor near the gauge cluster.
Taking the dash apart and seperating the speed sensor from the speedo cable end is a pain. Not something Id want to do, unless really necessary.
Most times the problem spot in the cable, is right at the firewall in the engine bay, cable is bent a bit too sharply, right at the transfer and where it is clipped to the frame, near the transfer linkage.
Old October 20th, 2004, 07:34
NAXJA Forum User

if you have cruie control, sometimes the cables come loose at the speed sensor for the cruise, located above the accellerator pedal, or just comes loose from the speedo head. i believe it just snaps onto the back of the speedo head.