• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Recovery Point

POSJ

NAXJA Forum User
Need a little help with some ideas. I'm an idiot for one, don't have much skill with metal. I did a search and couldn't find anything which helped. Anybody have any ideas with pictures of recovery points up front for a stock bumper/front end. I only have a week to complete it for a trail run on the 7th so something easy.

Tyler

the thing that I would reccommend is that you hit a junkyard and see if you can't find some of the OEM towhooks from an XJ. with only a week, I don't think that you can get them ordered in time and it'll take you more than than that to fab them up.

make sure that you get the brackets as well as the hooks

find oem hooks, order some bolt ons from one of the many NAXJA sponsors in the vendors forum, or buy a front hitch.

HPIM1300.jpg

Buy a front hitch. It bolts to the uni-body rails on both sides, ties the front end all together. I'll be damned if you rip that off, factory hooks kinda suck. Paid $120 off trailers.com I think. Had it in like 3 days.

zfinger said:
Buy a front hitch. It bolts to the uni-body rails on both sides, ties the front end all together. I'll be damned if you rip that off, factory hooks kinda suck. Paid $120 off trailers.com I think. Had it in like 3 days.
do you have some more pics of this? curious

Just order some tow hooks ^. As mentioned...get some longer bolts. The company i went with said that the stock ones were long enough...they weren't.

no such thing as three day shipping to alaska unless i want to take out a loan:), would wrapping a strap around the stock bumper rip it off?:-\

Ok, maybe not "off" but the stock bumper is sheet metal and very flimsy. Any pulling on it would deform it. If you were actually stuck It could come halfway off very easily.

Recovery points of some sort are the most important thing to have. I will not even attempt a simple tug unless you have good recovery points.

If something breaks off your jeep it is coming my way.

This picture is worth 1000 words... Get GOOD recovery points !!!!

NearMiss.jpg

zfinger said:
HPIM1300.jpg

x2... the front hitch works great.
I used mine to bend the crap out of a stock TJ front bumper.. I warned him before i did it...
and once you have a 2" sqaure tube under there, there really isnt any need for a thin skidplate..

I agree. The hitch does serve as a skid of sorts. Good protection under there.
Once you've lifted your rig, the factory skid doesn't cover the steering stuff as well anyway. Plus, in deeper mud and in reverse, the skid is a big scoop to pack mud in and around your steering and engine area.

The front draw-tite hitch is a great way to get a STRONG tow point quickly.
I'd stay away from the hidden hitch because the receiver hangs down much lower...

If you really wanna get fancy and trim the airdam, you can make it look really clean too:
http://www.dpgoffroad.com/images/Picspages/Misc/hitchskidrec3.JPG

Back