• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Swap Any Tips?

Scrub2k

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well im getting ready to swap aw4's between my recently wrecked 87 into my newly aquired 89 with a bad tranny, so it should be realitivly straight forward but just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to make my life a little bit easier?

thanks

PB Blaster.

Replace the two E12 Torx bolts at the top of the bellhousing for a pair of hex bolts.

New CPS since you're going to have easy access to it. Keep the old one(s) for trail spares because they will fail when you don't have a spare.

Clean it well when it's out.

Look for a thread (or two?) from me back in about September with AW-4 issues. The torque converter is going to be a pain to reinstall if you remove it, it takes at least three sets of push-twist-turn-push to seat it properly.

Scrub2k

the bad tranny what was the problem with it? and do you think the torque converter is good
if so and you want to sell it I need a second torque converter for my spare tranny
let me know

Comanchedude said:
Scrub2k

the bad tranny what was the problem with it? and do you think the torque converter is good
if so and you want to sell it I need a second torque converter for my spare tranny
let me know
I have a good torque convertor out of a 91 cherokee with 49,000 miles, make me an offer.

Things I learned when doing my manual to auto swap...
1. Stab the tranny with the torque converter on the transmission and NOT the flexplate (I burned up a tranny by doing it the wrong way)
2. Use a tranny jack, it makes things easier
3. To get the torque convertor holes to line up with the flex plate bolts, turn the bolt on the harmonic balance, turn it to the right only, so you don't loosen it up.
If you have any questions, give me a holler, pm me for my # on reno4x4. Good luck!

Yucca-Man said:
PB Blaster.

Replace the two E12 Torx bolts at the top of the bellhousing for a pair of hex bolts.

New CPS since you're going to have easy access to it. Keep the old one(s) for trail spares because they will fail when you don't have a spare.

Clean it well when it's out.

Look for a thread (or two?) from me back in about September with AW-4 issues. The torque converter is going to be a pain to reinstall if you remove it, it takes at least three sets of push-twist-turn-push to seat it properly.

Re the torque converter. In the shops I've seen they remove the converter with the tranny and put a bar accross the bell housing to hold it on the tranny. Then just bolt it to the flex plate once it's in.

Back