• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 xj p1494 troubleshooting

WhiskyZero

NAXJA Forum User
Hey y'all.
I've been chasing the code p1494 Leak Detection Pump code on my 2001 xj for months now and I'm at my wits end trying to get this thing through emissions.

The LDP and most of the under hood evap components are new, including the purge canister and solenoid. I've checked all the vacuum lines and haven't found anything loose, leaking, or disconnected. I even sprayed some brake clean around the hoses to confirm and didn't get any idle up while the engine was running.

Most of what I find for troubleshooting this online says to check vacuum lines, and if that doesn't work, to replace the purge solenoid, both of which I've already done. I'm not quite sure where to go from here.
Any ideas?

I forgot to include that I've checked the voltage at the plug for both the evap solenoid and purge canister and they both are getting between 12.5 and 14.5 volts. I can feel the evap solenoid ticking. I even have a spare brand new one that I've been swapping in and out for testing, without change to the code condition.

I'm using a code reader, so I can clear codes as well as see them pending before they are stored and the CEL comes on.

If you are conficent you have addressed all the system components, then you might suspect the corroded, bent, or pushed back wire plug pins, or chafed/melted/damaged wire insulation. Is there wire continuity to the PCM ?

The leak detection system tests for EVAP system leaks and blockage. During the self-diagnostics, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) first checks the Leak Detection Pump (LDP) for electrical and mechanical faults. If the first checks pass, the PCM then uses the LDP to seal the vent valve and pump air into the system to pressurize it. If a leak is present, the PCM will continue pumping the LDP to replace the air that leaks out. The PCM determines the size of the leak based on how fast/long it must pump the LDP as it tries to maintain pressure in the system.

Back