• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone with Speedi Sleeve on Axle experience, pointers plz!!!

xjnuttier

NAXJA Forum User
:thumbup:Hey guys, i am in the process tomorrow of installing another rear axle seal on my Dana 44. I installed the diff in July, and drove it the 1st day, checked for leaks, and the drivers side seal was leaking. I pulled the shaft installed a new Timken SET10 bearing and retainer, and a also the oil seal, TRV'd the outer edge, and made sure to tourque down properlly. This past Sunday, I was over at my buddies house to measure my tailshaft for my SYE, and to work on his 01 that flopped on its passenger side on our last trip.. So I crawl under my rig, pull my rear straps, and LOL I found that annoying vibration, my rear u joint was toast, quick sap all good, and measured up the tail shaft.. Just as I was gettin out from under her, I noticed that tell tale sign of diff fluid coming out of the brake adjustmnet hole, and all over the tire.. DAM 44, I went back to mydays of my old 79 fullsize, and I remebered a similar experience when I replaced it's wheel bearing. SO i did a search and foung out about the speedy sleeves. I decided to order one from my local NAPA, and by the way they are 43.00 plus tax now, here in PA. found the bearing and seal for Cheap at Autozone, in Lancaster, the bearing SET10 is only 22.99, and the seal is 11.99, and I work for a Jeep dealer, so I am running in to use the shop press. NOW here is really my question. I have done a lot of searching, but I am barely finding out any real good info on installing these on the rear axle. I am a good mechanic, but I really like to have some pointers from the guys who are really familiar with the install of the sleeve, and give me some tips so this is thelast time I have to replace the seal... Thanks in advance.. :thumbup:

I used a Speedy Sleeve on my Dana 44, and it lasted about 2 1/2 months before it started to ' weep '.

I'm not too sure what the problem was because the sleeve was tight around the shaft. Perhaps the axle and the sleeve expand and contract at different rates, allowing oil to pass when the shaft is cooling.

Here are the install instructions(its a pdf): http://www.alliedbearings.com/mfg_prod/seals/cr_speedi/cr_speedisleeve_install.pdf

In frustration, my solution was buy new chromoly axle shafts for $250(which come with new bearings, retainers and seals) - hasn't leaked since!

Remove shaft(s) - are you doing one or both?

Remove bearings & seals.

Clean and inspect shaft sealing surface. Make sure there are no longwise cracks or gouges in the shaft. Clean with solvent, a mild application of crocus cloth, then flush clean with solvent.

Put shaft in freezer (if you have room,) or put the hub end in a plastic bag and pack in ice (the bag keeps the water off of the shaft.) Use salt water to maximise contact between ice and water, and stir gently every couple of minutes.

Make sure sleeve is clean (flush with carburettor cleaner if necessary, and allow to dry thoroughly! Put sleeve on a hot plate or in the oven and heat up to 350-400*F.

Get your gloves. Remove shaft from ice bath and remove bag, then take sleeve directly out of heat and slip onto sealing surface. It should slip right on.

Set the shaft aside to air cool, and repeat with the other shaft PRN.

Allow shaft(s) to air-cool for at least one full hour, then you can re-bag it and dunk it in water (if you like.)

I've done this to install sleeves on various shafts before, and haven't had any trouble afterwards. Cleanliness is critical, and the greater the temperature differential between the parts, the easier it will be to install the sleeve onto the shaft.

If you want to "take out insurance," smear a bit of RTV black along the edges of the sleeve and allow it to fully cure.

Hey guys thanks for the replys, I got her done yesterday, I did the over deal, but I think it wasnt in long enough, and LOL my freezer wouldnt fit my shaft.. LOL but I did not drive the Jeep at all and it was around high 30's when I woke in the morn, so it was definately at a differant temp. I used RTV that was non hardening sealant like the directions advised, and it seems to work well. The prep I agree is the key to make it work. I took my time doing that with a wire wheel at first to get the heavier deposits off the sealing surface, and then i hand sanded with 120 grit emory clthe, and got a super nice sealing surface. I ended up using the extension tube, the hard piece from a shop vac, as my tool, to drive the sleeve n. It worked like a champ. Honestly I cant see this not working, after it went back together. Thanks for the pointers, and I did a lot of pics, from start to finish, to do Good write up for the tech tips so other ppl can take this path... I was amazed at the price of the sleeve, 43 bucks for that lil piece of tin...LOL Someone is making some dough on that deal... But if it works and I dont need a new shaft, I am happy. I only did the one axle so far.. I put the 44 in back in July, trying to stay clear of pulling the axles for this reason, but within the 1st day the drivers side was leaking. I put that seal in then, and then a few days back I noticed the leak from there again. I did my research stumbled onto the speedy sleeve, and here we are now. LOL the passsanger side has yet toleak, and I hope it stays that way, BUT when it does, I will do the sleve right off the bat.... :thumbup:

Back