• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting 7100 Bilstein shocks in the rear.

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally decided to purchase the rears to match my fronts. My question is how did you guys mount yours? Did you knock out the upper ball and insert poly or rubber Bushings or did you fab something up? The current configuration on my old shocks use rubber bushings and with the new shocks, well.. they will need a different method.

Thought about using the stock Sway bar mounts up top so that it would mount like the uppers do in the front but that would place the upper position in the rear 90 degrees off. Does the way the rear cycle matter how they mount?

I have BPEs up top and rubber bushings on the bottom. The heims wouldn't fit the stock lower mounts.

Use the heims in the shocks but they do wear over time. Measure the ID of the upper mounting bracket (sway bar mount), Measure OAL of the shock eye. Make inserts for difference. (for some reason hard to fin a pic of this)
attachment.php

For the lower on stock mounts I used polly inserts replacing the heim. Trimming them down to proper length. When I remount the lower mounts they will be proper side for the heim ends.

I used JKS Bar Pin adapters for the upper mount when I was using the stock upper mounting location.

How did you do away with the heims and what did you use for the bushing?
There's a couple snap rings that hold it in, pull them and press out the joint. I took em to a mechanic since I could jury rig a press that'd work. I still have a couple bushings somewhere...

Guess i should rename the thread to " Most cost effective way to mount 7100's in the rear of an XJ using stock location".

Hey Justin, Do you have a part # for the bushings used?

Back