• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep has been starting poor lately, what and where?

VDoubleUVR6

NAXJA Forum User
Ok as the title states...my 98 4.0L has been needing a few extra turns of the motor first thing in the morning (and sometimes in the evening hours when getting our of work) to get it started. I noticed this started last week and its been the same since. I bought the Jeep back in Feb. with almost with 78K and it just turned the clock to 81k last week so its due for an oil change. Since I have no history on the maintenance of the vehicle, I dont know what has been done. So I'm figuring the Jeep would benefit from a tune up. I was thinking on doing the obvious oil change, spark plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, clean the throttle and replace the belt since its showing age. Now the questions, what else would should I take a look at/replace? I've read in the past here on this site and another to only use OEM parts, or would other brands be ok? Is there websites where I might order all this stuff from (for better prices) or just hit up the dealer?

I'm new to the whole Jeep thing but have done some work on like adjusting the outer door handle so it will actually let the door open and also the front door locking mechanism from being stuck since its been getting warmer out. I also have the Jeep service manual for my year Jeep which has been a help with the few things I've done.

I dont have pictures of my Jeep so my VW will have to do...LOL.

What it looked like last month:
47b5da23b3127cce915d3722c22100000016108AZtWrdk1ctc

As it sits now:
47b5da36b3127cce91101d68116600000016108AZtWrdk1ctc

Thanks in advance.

Battery, starter, battery cables. You can go to autozone and get the battery tested. Not that this is the problem but what weight oil do you use, using a slightly lighter weight in the summer will probably give you quicker starts.

These are the first things I would look at.

katarn

katarn444 said:
Battery, starter, battery cables. You can go to autozone and get the battery tested. Not that this is the problem but what weight oil do you use, using a slightly lighter weight in the summer will probably give you quicker starts.

These are the first things I would look at.

katarn

Well I dont think its the battery...its starts with out a struggle (like a dieing/dead battery would show) it just takes a few extra turns of the motor to fire up and motor oil weight is what ever is in there from the " Mom 'n' Pop " dealership I bought it from. I'm going to run the same that I run in my VW which is Castrol GTX 10w30

Maybe it just needs a tuneup then?
plugs, cap, rotor? If you have that stuff, I think then went to distributerless ignition around 98 didn't they? I have an 89 so I do not keep up on the newer stuff. I would just pull a plug make sure they are okay? Check the resistance on the plug wires make sure they are within spec. Check rotor and cap to make sure there is no corrosion on them. Again maybe the starter is going, mine did that, it started to take longer and longer to start until the starter would not even turn, then I did the old hit it with a hammer trick for about a month until I replaced it.

One last thing to look up is the CPS, I never had a problem with mine so I could be way off base. do a search for that and see what the symptoms are for a failing sensor. Crankshaft Postion Sensor if you did not know.

Good luck
katarn

Maybe the valve in the fuel pump that holds the fuel pressure is going bad. This is very common in Jeeps. Try turning the key to the on position, pause for like 5 seconds while the pump primes, and the turn it over. It should start a few seconds faster that way. It works for me and many others that don't feel like going through the trouble of fixing it.

I had the same thing on mine. Seemed it would do it more if I had driven somewhere and it didn't cool off all the way and I went to go somewhere again.

Looked under the hood, and it was still the orig. chrysler battery.....keep in mind, 6yr old Jeep, 3rd owner, orig. a NYC vehicle (harsh new england winters).

Dropped a new one in last weekend and all is good. Starts on the first couple cranks now :)

Back