• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild my jeep or build a new one!

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I just bought a 98 xj bone stock, (#3 at my house now btw) and I'm trying to decide whether to fix the numerous issues with mine or strip it down and build the,98 or maybe even build the 97.

The 01 I bought brand spanking new so kinda hate to scrap it but I've done several stupid things over the years to include flopping it and edding up the a pillar and also cut the rear wheel well pinch seems out. And now the tranny it smelling bad and the thing is always overheating and I can't seem to get it figured out!

What u guys think?

It's sickness, I currently have four XJs.

Keep the best conditioned stock one alone. Build the one with the most damage into a trailer queen you can thrash on and build the other one as a tweener for the easy to moderate trails.

That's really not what I wanted to hear..... I don't know if I can afford 3! Lol. But it would be fun

Leaning towards swapping parts over and scraping my blue 01 but kinda bitter sweet cause I bought it new and it is my first jeep. But its seen better days and I'm not sure that I wanna put the money in it to make it trail worthy again! Its already pretty much a trailer HOE not at all a queen!

Ditch that '97. They're bad news.

Build the '98 and scrap the '01. Best years were '98 & '99.

Depends on how you want to keep wheelin. If you are still wanting to push it through some nasty trails...I say keep the one you have, fix the issues, and proceed to beat the snot out of it. It already has body damage, so it won't KILL you if you get another dent.

Build the '98 into a mild wheeler. 4" lift, some 33's...something simple but something you can enjoy the scenic trails on.

I've been in your shoes. My '01 is built and built well, but the problem is the body is pristine!! The more I wheeled it, the more I didn't want to beat up the body. I had all these trails I wanted to do...but most of them I stood a good chance of body damage. It has now been demoted to mild trail / camping duty, and I have my buggy for the hard stuff.

That's where I'm at. My nice and clean XJ for mild trails/camping and a buggy for the hard stuff.

Damn it now I really don't know what to do!

Why tear up another jeep? Then your wife will be REALLY mad at you. Just keep tearing up the shell you have now and keep it a RIG and not a daily.

Why tear up another jeep? Then your wife will be REALLY mad at you. Just keep tearing up the shell you have now and keep it a RIG and not a daily.
Ya but then she wants to sell one of the others, crazy lady! she's gonna ruin my collection!

but that is probley what we're gonna do. Probley fix the 97 and trade up for a grand, or a TJ or something else for a mock up rig!

Back