• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Pump Building

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi... For my 1990 Cherokee, with 33 rock tires, I got a 1999 Dodge Dakota steering gear. This has the larger bore over the stock XJ steering gear. I have the stock XJ type steering pump, bought as a rebuilt from NAPA Autoparts.

I have a spate used pump I want to repair....

I understand a high volume and / or high pressure pump is desirable for the Dakota steering gear. How does one build a stock pump to work better with the Dakota steering gear?

Do pump ports get drilled to different sizes, spring changed or spacers on bypass valve? What gets done? Any instructions out there on blue printing our pumps, and setting them up for bigger gear boxes, pushing bigger tires?

Is a smaller diameter pulley a good idea to bump up the pump output? Where do I buy one? Or what car should I search for at the wrecker for a used smaller pulley from?

Thanks!

Really unless you're trying to turn as fast as possible, more pump volume isn't really necessary. Most people who need more volume and flow are running hydro assist. I would stay away from trying to ramp up the pressure. The parts are designed to operate in the 1200-1400 psi range. Going higher really just increase the risk for failure.

I think psc offers a smaller pulley. Keep in mind with that and sustained high rpm use can lead to cavitation in the pump.

Search for the West Texas mods. They have some info on pump mods.

I drilled mine to 5/32 and removed one washer from pressure valve. Made my Dakota box come alive. Had to have the box rebuilt after a year cause it got sloppy. Also running redline synthetic fluid and turned the stock trans cooler into a ps cooler

I have the durango box and started out with a little larger hole for better flow on the stock box. it was not bad but opening up the port for more flow you will lose some pressure to so i shimmed the bypass to make up for it. worked great for the summer but when spring came and i started tje jeep on a cold morning for the first time in months it didnt like the cold and 15min later turning in the yard it blew the front cover off the box. to much shim for cold temps haha. so new durango box and then went to a wj pump and it was much better but way to fast. i had to use my old drilled out fitting because the wj one is WAY to large. the wj pump flows so much better that even the small change i made on the stock xj fitting was to much. went back to a stock xj fitting and now the steering is great. all this was done on 35s and i always had the overdrive pully from psc.

Back