• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calico night run June 19th 9pm

I’ve had a minor change in plans. I’ll be heading up in the afternoon and checking into a cabin. Since I’ll already be 20 miles east of Tommy’s I’m not going to be meeting JohnX and crew there after all. I’ll likely head over to Peggy Sue’s Diner for dinner before the run instead. (I called and confirmed they’re open for dine-in service today until 9.) If anyone is interested in joining me, look for my gold ‘99 XJ at the cabins and we can coordinate out there.

Looking forward to the wheeling!

I'll be heading out after work and heading straight to the cabins. Goal is to be there by 8 pm. If successful, I'll be down to hit up Peggy Sue's.

Yes, we'll drive right by. I'll honk if I remember.

If Al meets us at Tommy's, then itll be dodge with XJ on trailer, followed by 2 xjs

I'm running late, last minute change up in my passenger list.

I might still make trailhead by 9, but probably wont make Tommy's until 8:40

I'm sitting in traffic on pass. Doesn't look like I will make trail head until 9:50! :banghead:

I may catch up on the trail.

I didn’t take many pictures, but here are a few.

4b7b175f9beb364638481c72fda60730.jpg

51d2298209b2ee2439b701446ffa0098.jpg

28a5e44d34108b1d8c2366cea63fe585.jpg

1ce171489eabec93699b7cb31cfb96b8.jpg

b75634258afbe5d5373ee5fc325608ad.jpg

Bummed I missed the night run. I really appreciate you guys waiting. I ended up getting into camp after 10:30pm and was having overheating issues. Figured it wasn't a good idea to try and catch up and push my luck.

I was able to grab a new radiator in Barstow. Swapped in the new one and ran the loop Saturday afternoon. Then ended up snapping the steering box bolts just as I was about to finish the loop.

Thankfully, Chris (SoCal-XJ FB group) was camped nearby and had some extra bolts. After fighting with one bolt that was sheered flush with the steering box, we were able to bolt the steering back up and drive out.

What’re the odds that someone nearby had spare steering box bolts? Incredibly slim, I’m sure. So I’d say you got darned lucky there. Anyway, I hope your next wheeling trip goes better.

Bummed I missed the night run. I really appreciate you guys waiting. I ended up getting into camp after 10:30pm and was having overheating issues. Figured it wasn't a good idea to try and catch up and push my luck.

I was able to grab a new radiator in Barstow. Swapped in the new one and ran the loop Saturday afternoon. Then ended up snapping the steering box bolts just as I was about to finish the loop.

Thankfully, Chris (SoCal-XJ FB group) was camped nearby and had some extra bolts. After fighting with one bolt that was sheered flush with the steering box, we were able to bolt the steering back up and drive out.
Wow, what luck. So did the radiator swap fix the issue?

Absolutely lucky Chris had some. If he hadn't though I had met up with another XJ on the trail (Dan Cole) and he drove back to his house to grab some bolts. Once Chris showed up though I waved Dan off.

The new radiator definitely helped, but there is still some issue I need to investigate. I still had some high temps when climbing hills on the freeway heading home. It normally never gets past ~215 once the electric fan kicks on.

Back