NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 10th, 2019, 16:30
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: TrueTrack install

Lateral stability is only gone if you are hard on the gas pedal and break traction. The No-Slip unlocks just fine in winter driving. I can drift the Cherokee sideways in fresh snow for a least 1/2 a city block, all the while spitting 2 rooster tails of snow fragments onto the sidewalk.

I learned how to drive in a 1974 Ford Galaxie 500 4 door (think Crown Vic size but larger) with a 400 cubic inch motor and bias ply tires during the fall/winter in Minnesota. Talk about a one wheel wonder. I will always recommend a Limited Slip or Locker instead of an open diff for winter snowy/icy driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....

Last edited by Tim_MN; September 11th, 2019 at 04:06.
Old September 10th, 2019, 16:55
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
what tire size?

got a buddy running 31s on a locked 35. some have blown up in spectacular fashion (and created a bit of internet lore in the process) but people do stupid shit every day and hurt themselves going to the bathroom. for the OP's intent, i wouldn't swap the 35.

I'd go auto locker in rear as well.

My XJ runs on stock 15" rims with 205/75 tires and I have no intention of changing that.

thx
Todd
Old September 10th, 2019, 16:58
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach2nh View Post
If you want it to handle better on snow covered roads and dont care about wheeling then you dont want to install any traction aid in the axle. Spend the money on a good set of studded snows and winter wheels. 100 times better.

My first XJ had the factory LSD and it was awesome on Snow/Ice. This one with an open carrier, not so much.

Thx
Todd
Old September 10th, 2019, 17:06
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Lateral stability is only gone if you are hard on the gas pedal and break traction. The No-Slip unlocks just fine in winter driving. I can drift the Cherokee sideways in fresh snow for a least 1/2 a city block, all the while spitting 2 rooster tails of snow fragments onto the sidewalk.

I learned how to drive in a 1974 Ford Galaxie 500 4 door (think Crown Vic size) with a 400 cubic inch motor and bias ply tires during the fall/winter in Minnesota. Talk about a one wheel wonder. I will always recommend a Limited Slip or Locker instead of an open diff for winter snowy/icy driving.

I grew up in a region that regularly hit -40 in the winter. When I was a kid I used to put on flat soled boots, sneak up behind the bus, grab the bumper and let it pull me across the ice a couple of miles to the mall rather than pay the fare. Like you I learned to drive in a boat ('68 Chrysler Newport Custom) with an open diff. Every car/truck for the next 15 years was an open diff so I really didn't know any different. Then I bought my first brand new XJ and experienced a limited slip for the first time. It was AWESOME and I really don't want to go back.

thx
Todd
Old September 10th, 2019, 17:57
NAXJA Member

Re: TrueTrac install

Just to get this thread back on track, the original question was: "does the Dana 35 in a '90 XJ use interior shims (as shown in most service manuals) or does it use exterior shims (as shown in most YouTube video's) for the carrier?"

I am only considering the following 3 options:

Spicer Limited Slip - $396.99
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdh-74210x

PowerTrax Grip Pro - $394.97
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwt-gt443527

Eaton TrueTrac - $477.20
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-912a569

Feedback on which of these 3 options would be best would be appreciated.

FWIW, I built a replica of a '65 Shelby Cobra like the one in the link below. I built a 400+HP SBF myself starting from a bare block, did all the suspension work, modified a Ford 8.8" LSD to fit, finished the interior, fuel system, brakes (including adding power brakes and ABS), electrical, steering and did all of the bodywork. I'm pretty sure I have the skills (and most of the tools) to replace a carrier.

https://www.factoryfive.com/roadster/mk4/

thx
Todd
Old September 10th, 2019, 21:11
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmotter View Post
Just to get this thread back on track, the original question was: "does the Dana 35 in a '90 XJ use interior shims (as shown in most service manuals) or does it use exterior shims (as shown in most YouTube video's) for the carrier?"

I am only considering the following 3 options:

Spicer Limited Slip - $396.99
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdh-74210x

PowerTrax Grip Pro - $394.97
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwt-gt443527

Eaton TrueTrac - $477.20
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-912a569

Feedback on which of these 3 options would be best would be appreciated.

FWIW, I built a replica of a '65 Shelby Cobra like the one in the link below. I built a 400+HP SBF myself starting from a bare block, did all the suspension work, modified a Ford 8.8" LSD to fit, finished the interior, fuel system, brakes (including adding power brakes and ABS), electrical, steering and did all of the bodywork. I'm pretty sure I have the skills (and most of the tools) to replace a carrier.

https://www.factoryfive.com/roadster/mk4/

thx
Todd
Badass car! Got pics of yours?

Good luck w your build

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old September 10th, 2019, 21:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach2nh View Post
If you want it to handle better on snow covered roads and dont care about wheeling then you dont want to install any traction aid in the axle. Spend the money on a good set of studded snows and winter wheels. 100 times better.
Feeling dumber having responded before, this is by far the best advice thus far. Snow capable tires are quite good. Pin the gas and they'll give their all not to budge.

If this is your only concern I agree with the above And I don't believe any traction device would out perform a proper snow tire.
Old September 11th, 2019, 04:09
Freakish Hand Strength

Go with Eaton TrueTrac. I have a Chry 8.25 so no shim info, but a genuine Jeep Service Manual is only $7.95 from www.pacificcoastmanuals.com.

Quote:

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old September 11th, 2019, 05:50
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
Feeling dumber having responded before, this is by far the best advice thus far. Snow capable tires are quite good. Pin the gas and they'll give their all not to budge.

If this is your only concern I agree with the above And I don't believe any traction device would out perform a proper snow tire.

Having driven with good winter tires, studded tires and and LSD I found that all were better than stock but when stopped at a light where the road is covered in ice, only the LSD would would allow me to accelerate at the green light like a regular road. The other two would always break traction at the start and had to be baby'd to get going or they would quickly slide sideways forcing the driver (me) to nurse the gas (or slip the clutch) to try to get moving.

Of course stopping is another matter. In fact, the biggest learning curve I found on an LSD is that its ability to accelerate under icy conditions gives you a false sense of security that quickly vanishes when you have to stop.

Tim,

I am going to add the PowerTrax no slip lunch box to the list based on your recommendation an will download the manual.

thx
Todd
Old September 11th, 2019, 05:54
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Badass car! Got pics of yours?

Good luck w your build

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks! Couple of pics below for your viewing pleasure

Old September 11th, 2019, 10:12
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Go with Eaton TrueTrac. I have a Chry 8.25 so no shim info, but a genuine Jeep Service Manual is only $7.95 from www.pacificcoastmanuals.com.

Note from OP: Since I can't delete this post I will simply add that the "No-Slip" version won't work. Looks like the only D35 option they have is to upgrade from a stock LSD.

OK, adding PowerTrax to the list adds some complexity. Which version would you recommend:

PowerTrax "No-Slip Traction System" - $443.21

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...2725/overview/
https://www.powertrax.com/product-in...action-system/

or

PowerTrax "Lock Right Locker" - $327.81
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...0-lr/overview/

Both have the advantage of being installed within the current carrier. The "No-Slip" variant seems to be their latest version without the ratcheting sounds.

Last edited by tjmotter; September 11th, 2019 at 11:05.
Old September 11th, 2019, 14:46
Freakish Hand Strength

The No-Slip functions more smoothly and is quieter. Same results from both versions at the tires.

A side benefit of any Lunchbox style locker is; if you don't like it, you can just as quickly and easily remove it and go back to an open diff.

Quote:

Quote: