• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hmm? Should I keep my XJ? Or?

MountainGoat

NAXJA Forum User
Well I cant say I havent enjoyed the XJ. I have taken her offroad on a regular basis now. Drives more like a car then my past rigs. Still all stock. Here is whats going on. Before I bought my first jeep I owned Land Cruisers. Mostly stationwagons (FJ55/62). The main reasons why I went to an XJ are as follows:

1) Cost: I can find an XJ with almost all the bells and whistles for about 1500 bucks. (an FJ55 in same shape is 2 to 3 times the price)
2) Money again: It cost a hell of a lot less to lift an XJ then an FJ55 or FJ60/62 TLC. (XJ less then 1K.. 55/60/62 TLC more then 1200 for 2" lift)
3) Money again: Fuel economy right off the line is twice what I had in a TLC wagon. (XJ gets about 19/20mpg.... TLC gets 10/14mpg)
4) Money again: More stuff on the market for Jeeps then TLC wagons.
5) Money again: Body parts are less.

Overall my reasons were due to money. I could find an XJ for less money, there are a heck of allot more on the market and when I needed parts or aftermarket stuff I could find it almost anywhere and it would be more then affordable. So all in all it was more cost effective to go with the XJ then with another TLC wagon. But this week I had a wrench get thrown into the picture.

I came across a nice FJ55 for 1000 bucks.

Here are the "cons" with owning an FJ55.... They are big and heavy. My last FJ55 was weighed by the military before I moved. Completely stripped out with zero fuel in the tank it came in at just under 4400 pounds. The F series engine at best gets 14mpg. Body parts are very hard to find. A set of fenders with no rust can easily run 600 bucks and a set of outer rockers new (very rare) will set you back about 800 bucks. Forget about other stuff like the tailgate (which weighs a ton) and finding a rig with rear ambulance doors (very rare). also they have no real ceature comforts. Only the late 70's came with AC and thats hard to find. The floors have rubber floor mats, and at highway speeds to cant hear the person next to you without yelling. The factory radio hole sucks and is too short to fit any aftermarket system.

Pro's: Heavy duty frame thats somewhere between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton chevy. I had 3/8 channel iron bumpers front and rear on my FJ55. I was reared more then once and nothing ever happened to my rig. Hit a tree hard enough to bend the bumper at a good 45 degree angle... nothing happned to the frame. They can be feild stripped and repaired on the trail if need be. Some have a factory PTO/Winch. My last FJ45LV had the factory PTO/Winch. My FJ55 wasnt from the States.... it was shipped in and came from the factory with 33" OD 16" split rim wheels. It sat higher then an XJ with a 6" lift and higher then other FJ55's due to the tires. The engine was die hard and went about 400,000 miles on original bearings. Never had a rebuild. I only swapped the engine out because one of my buddies was selling his 87 2F engine. 100K on it and the pig was fresh. In all the miles I placed on that rig.. and all the extreme abuse it was delt.. it never gave me any issues. When the head gasket finally blew at 225K, I made it home. If something went wrong I was almost always able to fix it while still in the field. It never overheated on me or died in traffic. When I overloaded it with 1200 pounds and drove across washinton state, into oregon and idaho it never complained. I load my XJ up with stuff and move across town it dies while in rush hour traffic or would overheat (thats fixed for now). The FJ55 is old school and still holds it roots as a military vehicle. Mine came with an artic heater that would bake you. Some folks think Toyota copied the US jeeps... well in a way they did... because the US Government gave them the blue prints to manufacture 4x4's for the US military serving in the Asain islands and goin to Korea. Kind tells you why the early 25 and 40 series looked so much like swb open jeeps.

Now I have to say even though I have had issues with the past two XJ's I have owned....... I still like my XJ because it fits well into my family. When I want to wheel its there... when its hot the AC works... when its cold the heater works well and the family can go around town in comfort and talk without being beaten to death with road noise.

But... I have to say when this FJ55 came into the picture it really threw a monkey wrench into things...... I have recently returned the college...... if I went with the FJ55 I would be giving up comfort (better ride, AC, less road noise, etc.) and fuel economy. But the FJ55 would be better with realibilty and I could always adapt AC and other features. I know I cant own both rigs.
Guess Im trying to talk myself out of owning the FJ55... just curious to see what advice some might have. I think my common sense reservoir is running a bit low. Im still new to the XJ crowd... so far even with the issues it has been good. Sure its a huge stress factor when the XJ breaks down on the freeway or in rush hour traffic... but I like the XJ.... then again I like the FJ55 too.

Last edited:
The FJ sounds like a bigger boat and is just a much bigger hole to throw money into... I miss my 69 Willys custom [waggoneer] with it's 350cuin buick and T400 tranny with spicer 20 transfer, dana 60's fore and aft. Would I want it back, nope, it was witch to get parts for in 90 and I would not want to go hunting for stuff for it now... And that was an ex-military jeep too..., still had the N numbers under the hood and found it was HQ3 at sometime in it's past life...

I really dont have the money to get the FJ55 right now... I can say that since I bought the Jeep my wife is happier... she loves the FJ55 but hates me spending so much time away (wheeling, club meetings, events, general time being with the 55, etc...)... aka Landcruiser widow, not to mention the jeep fits in better with the family at this time. Only thing that would be better would be an 1997 FJ80 40th An. Edition with OME suspension.

Im a HUGE fan of landcruisers they are a one of a kind rig theres nothin else like em. I too got my XJ for mpg and ease on parts an what not but Im wanting a FJ60 or 62 more an more everyday. My dads got a 62 an its a beast stock every thing on them is 3 times the size of an XJs They ride like a tractor and thats whats so awesome about them there solid. If I were you i would get the 55 an just hang on to it an keep it as a LONG term project when you got extra cash to spend get something for the cruiser they will run 350K+ with ease if tooken care of. How many 55s do you come across this may be a sale to jump on. Overall its your decision good luck

TORX

I can't help you. This is a personal decision and you sound like a LC lover. I'm a Cherokee/Comanche lover. My answer would automatically be to keep the Cherokee.

I can't buy into your comment about reliability. My original 88 XJ is now at 245,500 miles. I replaced one water pump, the radiator at about 175,000 and the clutch at 204,000. Couple of brake jobs, couple of O2 sensors, couple of exhaust systems, and that's been it for maintenance. Oh, yeah -- one front hub. The other is still the original. I still get better than 20 MPG highway and use no oil.

Pretty poor reliability compared to a LC, I guess.

Eagle said:
I can't help you. This is a personal decision and you sound like a LC lover. I'm a Cherokee/Comanche lover. My answer would automatically be to keep the Cherokee.

I can't buy into your comment about reliability. My original 88 XJ is now at 245,500 miles. I replaced one water pump, the radiator at about 175,000 and the clutch at 204,000. Couple of brake jobs, couple of O2 sensors, couple of exhaust systems, and that's been it for maintenance. Oh, yeah -- one front hub. The other is still the original. I still get better than 20 MPG highway and use no oil.

Pretty poor reliability compared to a LC, I guess.

I'll go with Eagle on this one. Not only that, but when you have to replace a fender you can get on for a XJ for about $65.00 give or take, factory maybe $110.00. BUT THAT STILL SAVES YOU $490.00. That would buy you some sweet tires, or gears, or stereo, or half a really good winch, or lift parts....

Hey Red,

Is everything Kosher with you?

Flat out land crusiers are bad ass. I have owned only one toyota, a 90 P/U. It was the tuffest truck I have ever seen. It was stock, and I jumped the hell out of it all the time. With that said, I now own an xj, for the same reasons you stated before. I know a LC and 90 truck are not the same, but toyota makes some great stuff. The LC you are talking about buying sounds great, but be honest with your self. No truck that is that old will make a good DD with out a lot of work. I would jump on the crusier in 1 second, if I had another car to drive every day. Be honest with your self about what you need. If you have the time and money to keep the cruiser up, than go for it. Like you said they are the definition of tuff trucks.By the way, my dad had a fj 55. It was the coolest truck in the world, even though I was 10 at the time. You could even crank it from in front of the truck like a model T.

Back