NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Classic Jeeps
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Classic Jeeps Technical forum for the oldest Jeeps; MB, Willys Pickup, Willys Wagon, FC, DJ, FJ and Jeepster.

Old May 30th, 2018, 12:30
NAXJA Member

Just a beater Commando

Just bought this last weekend. 304, TH400, previous owner did the lunch box front and rear and 4.56 gears for it as well as a disc brake front I need to put in with the new gears. Body is rough, but then I don't have to worry about scratching the paint. It runs but I need to do a couple minor repairs before I take it out. Thinking I'll squeeze a set of 33's under it.
Old June 1st, 2018, 15:26
NAXJA Member

Re: Just a beater Commando

Came with a spare motor in pieces, 2 sets of heads, it runs good. Need to get the battery secure and a brake booster for when I get the "new" front diff in. D44 rear, D30 front. Previous owner did a spring over in the rear, so I think I'll do the same on the front and then flip the tie rod to above the arms to hope fully clear the springs. We'll see.
Old July 1st, 2018, 10:53
NAXJA Forum User

I'm currently doing a complete frame-off resto on my 72 Jeep Commando and just started reassembly. You mentioned a "front disc brake conversion" that you need to install. Question. Who supplied that kit and will the stock 15" rims fit over the calipers? Also, will any grinding be necessary or will 15" after-market rims be needed to fit over the calipers?

Best regards,

CJR
Old July 3rd, 2018, 06:22
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR View Post
I'm currently doing a complete frame-off resto on my 72 Jeep Commando and just started reassembly. You mentioned a "front disc brake conversion" that you need to install. Question. Who supplied that kit and will the stock 15" rims fit over the calipers? Also, will any grinding be necessary or will 15" after-market rims be needed to fit over the calipers?

Best regards,

CJR
It is an entire new front disc brake diff assembly. CJ7 maybe?? Just came with the pile of parts. It should easily fit 15" rims since it's not a newer disc setup. There is someone who makes a kit I have seen guys install. No idea where they are getting it from.