NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Colorado Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Colorado Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old July 11th, 2010, 18:11
NAXJA Forum User

Hiring an XJ mechanic for some work

Hey,

I have a 99' XJ Cherokee Sport and I have some maintenance done. I live in Fort Collins and I have yet to find a respectable and trustworthy mechanic in the area. (If you know any please refer me). Anyway, I figured I'd offer this job to a member first before I took it to a shop. Basically, I just need someone to flush radiator. I would prefer someone who has done this before themselves, or someone that is a certified mechanic even. Either one really.

Also, my brakes squeak really badly. Now, its only when I'm going forward and braking so my guess is that its my brake pads wearing down and creating some gnarly harmonic friction. But I really don't know for sure, maybe something just needs some grease. Either way, I have some money and I'm willing to pay someone to fix one or both of these problems for me. The radiator flush is a cheap fix, but the brakes might end up being expensive. Either way my budget is light, but at least I have a budget. If anyone's interested please reply or PM me. Thanks guys.

MacTavish
Old July 11th, 2010, 18:30
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Hiring an XJ mechanic for some work

Do it yourself! The Prestone flush fitting kits cost about $10. By the way, there is no such thing as certification for mechanics, not at the state or federal level. Emissions inspectors have a cert for that then there may be a cert involved for over the road big rigs.

What you see on all the shops is ASE and it's basically a scam.
Old July 11th, 2010, 18:38
NAXJA Forum User

Interesting, I didn't know they had them. I thought I needed access to the petcock drain valve to do this flush... which is almost impossible on my car. Its not the OEM radiator and the drain valve is not where its supposed to be. I think I'd have to remove the headlight, gril, and battery to get to it.
Old July 11th, 2010, 19:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTavish View Post
Interesting, I didn't know they had them. I thought I needed access to the petcock drain valve to do this flush... which is almost impossible on my car. Its not the OEM radiator and the drain valve is not where its supposed to be. I think I'd have to remove the headlight, gril, and battery to get to it.
Just pull off the lower radiator hose.
Old July 20th, 2010, 15:52
NAXJA Forum User

Alright, so this still needs to get done and after looking at my work schedule, I just don't have the time to dick around with my car. Soooooo, I will pay $40 for someone to come to my place and flush my system. I already have the Prestone flush n fill kit and the coolant ready to go. After reading the instructions on this fill kit, I'm estimating that this job will take at most 1 hour of your time. Probably less. So if anyone wants to make $40 for one hour of work, let me know. I'm located right in downtown Fort Collins 2 blocks from College/Mulberry. So if you're close and you've done a flush before let me know and we'll get this taken care of... thanks.
Old July 20th, 2010, 19:14
NAXJA Forum User

Hell I'd do it for free if you were closer... I'm in Denver right now.
Old July 20th, 2010, 23:37
NAXJA Member

Wait........ Did he just refer to his XJ as a....... car????

End of Watch: Jeffco: MC1, 1312 & 0369. Yucca-Man 1215...... Rest easy brothers, we've got it from here. -----
Old July 21st, 2010, 14:09
NAXJA Forum User

Well I guess if you're ever up North then, give me a ring. I'd gladly compensate you for doing the flush.

Oh, my apologies. My XJ.