• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 ZJ gas tank in a 2K XJ

Still to busy to get that project done!

No, I've never got the lift installed yet. Been waiting on cooler weather, it's hot here!

Nope, I haven't even completed that project. I'm still waiting on my lift to get installed!
P1080618_zpsmqvq17eo.jpg

I did the zj swap a few years ago. My combination is a 97 xj 2door with a 97 xj pump in a 98 zj tank with an xj skid. I can say it holds a little more than 4 gallons more than before. Enough for me not to need to carry any extra fuel on most of my trips.

Finally got it done!!!! All went pretty good, I did have to modify the skid plate because of the wider width. I didn't re-install the receiver because I am going with a new bumper. It's a miracle, from bone dry to the first "auto shut-off" at the gas station was 27.5 gallons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P1080768.JPG

P1080769.JPG

P1080770.JPG

P1080771.JPG

For future reference the part number off the tank is 52018371 which Mopar list's as a '94-95.

No, the numbers are real! I did the highest over-flow pipe I have ever seen posted but most of the guys are getting 25-26 gallons.

ok, So you did extend the stock vent hose up to increase capacity.

Yes, see post 10. The gas was verified by the fact it was bone dry so 10 minutes before starting/driving I drove 1/2 mile to the station and filled a 5 gallon jerry can(with 5 gallons) to prime it. I immediately drove to the same pump and put in 22.7 gallons, I discounted about .2 gallons for my start up and drive.

Yes, see post 10. The gas was verified by the fact it was bone dry so 10 minutes before starting/driving I drove 1/2 mile to the station and filled a 5 gallon jerry can(with 5 gallons) to prime it. I immediately drove to the same pump and put in 22.7 gallons, I discounted about .2 gallons for my start up and drive.

Doesnt really prove the pump isn’t accurate. Either way. Its awesome to have a few extra gallons on board. Nice work.

Doesnt really prove the pump isn’t accurate. Either way. Its awesome to have a few extra gallons on board. Nice work.

Well when the jerry can that I've had for 40yrs fills up with 5 gallons from the pump to the same place it always has I'd say that speaks well for the pump!

Did you do the vent mod?

P1080624_zpsjthwbnyj.jpg

Nice to see this project completed. Does the in-tank orientation of your vent extension mirror the way you have the copper tube laid out in this image?

You also mention having to modify the tank skidplate. Are you running a factory XJ skid and if so, how did you modify it?

No, the vent goes in parallel to the inlet at the bottom right of the pic with the 90* turning up right behind the fuel pump. What I had to do for the skid was bend out the pass side a little bit and re-drill the mounting holes over about 3/4", it wasn't missing by a lot.
The thread that inspired my project was........ https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1131307

No, the vent goes in parallel to the inlet at the bottom right of the pic with the 90* turning up right behind the fuel pump. What I had to do for the skid was bend out the pass side a little bit and re-drill the mounting holes over about 3/4", it wasn't missing by a lot.
The thread that inspired my project was........ https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1131307

Thanks! Need to score me a ZJ tank and new pump and get this done before my trip to the Rubicon in Aug.

Yes I wished I had done this years ago. I usually go on some pretty long trips and my previous range was 350 miles, I'm hoping this will take me 450 miles!

Back