• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Idle and starting issue

89 XJer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm curious,I had an unusual thing happen today. I was at the service station getting gas and when I went to start up the jeep nothing. I tried moving the shifter around to make sure it was not the neutral safety switch and when I did actually get some lights on the dash to appear It almost seemed like the battery was dead. It did finally turn over but had an extremely high idle, I drove maybe 2 miles back home and the whole time it was idling very high. I parked it in the driveway and turned it off, then I started it right back up with no problems at all. It had a low idle and everthing was normal, so I drove it around for awhile still everthing was fine. Any suggestions on this freak incident.

Very high idle at startup (around 2,000) which sometimes goes away on restart is an indication you tps is starting to go bad per my long time dealer tech and per my own experience. Replacing my tps fixed it. If it happens again I would replace the tps. Greg

Thats classic TPS going out. Mine did the same thing out of no where. When mine went the tranny started shifting all of the place for no reason, i thought thr tranny was smoked untill the high idle started. If i was you i would change that TPS before it leaves you stuck..... mine crapped out on the highway.

Chewy

I have the same thing happen occasionally. I know I have at least 2 vacuum leaks. One is in the heater control switches, and the other is from the brake booster (I think). When my junk starts like this, I usually shut it off, and play with the heater control switches. I can hear the hissing of the air going into the lines. It usually starts, and runs normally after this. Sometimes I have to wiggle the brake pedal for the same result. When I didn't know anything, well...when I knew less than I know now, I would get out and pull off the Idle Air Stepper motor, and clean it with carb cleaner. That got very embarrassing at times! :repair: That would usually fix the problem too. I guess all I am really trying to say is check the vacuum lines before you change the TPS. Cheers.

Back