• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Never count an old Jeep down........

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
Couple of years ago Dad took his 90 Cherokee in for emissions and the tester read 250k+ on the odo and told him it probably wouldn't pass because of the mileage, tem minutes or so later it not only passed, but got a fast pass which means that it's blowing so clean at the tailpipe that they don't need to worry about a full dyno run. Last week Dad went to take it in again and the fuel pump started giving him trouble so he had to bail on testing that day change the pump out. He took it back in this morning and got the same tester he had last time, guy takes a look at the odo (which it now about 280K) and again told Dad that it'll probably fail because of the mileage, once again ten minutes later the truck got another fast pass!

Mine consistently blew super clean on the CA dyno test too with well over 200k. I think I read somewhere about the 4.0 being listed as an ultra low emissions engine.

my wifes TJ had such a clean running engine, she passed emissions with no cat. she had the cat out for almost a year and never even set a check engine light. then when we ordered the new cat back system, we put a new cat in.

and my 95XJ with 175,000miles fast passed after i did a tune up and replaced the O2sensor. other than that i didn't do any work to it.

My 94 went through with great numbers here in Arizona in August. 183,000 miles. I was real happy with the numbers.:woohoo:

Mine passed with 84K about a month ago. This is even with fighting the CEL since march for a faulty o2 sensor.

half a mile down the road, after leaving the inspection station, getting my sticker and paperwork saying I passed, CEL comes on for a faulty o2 sensor...LOL

If the 4.0 runs so clean why did Jeep get rid of it again?

Rev Den said:
According to the new IL regs....nothing older than 96 needs to be tested after the 1st of the year.

This is why I want to move to America. Well, that and no-BS gun laws.

according to your info, you are in california.....i could have sworn that is part of america.........and i don't know where you heard about the gun laws, but around here it's more headache than it's worth just to own a gun.

IslanderXJ said:
If the 4.0 runs so clean why did Jeep get rid of it again?
Because it'll live forever if well maintained. Can't have that now can we! I think it has a lot to do with fed safety standards. Something about needing a certain distance between the bumper and the front of the engine block. All the new vehicles I've seen have a ton of room between the rad and the block. The new JK has so much distance you can put a small child in there, if your into that sort of thing.

scorpio_vette said:
according to your info, you are in california.....i could have sworn that is part of america.........and i don't know where you heard about the gun laws, but around here it's more headache than it's worth just to own a gun.

I believe it was a little sarcasm there buddy...:shhh:

Bradlybob said:
Because it'll live forever if well maintained. Can't have that now can we! I think it has a lot to do with fed safety standards. Something about needing a certain distance between the bumper and the front of the engine block. All the new vehicles I've seen have a ton of room between the rad and the block. The new JK has so much distance you can put a small child in there, if your into that sort of thing.

i believe you're right about that to a point. but some of the biggest factors with the 4.0L are emissions. aparently it was getting to difficult to get the 4.0L to meet the newer higher emissions standards.

scorpio_vette said:
i believe you're right about that to a point. but some of the biggest factors with the 4.0L are emissions. aparently it was getting to difficult to get the 4.0L to meet the newer higher emissions standards.

That and I think the whole crash thing was valid too, it seems like BMW is the only one making I-6 engines much anymore. I'm not too sure on the longevity bit though, I've heard the 3.8 is nearly as good in the minivans and is fairly strong for the weight it's got to lug around. Dad noticed the 3.8 in the T&C Touring they just got will light up the front tires pretty good from a dead stop, granted the van alone weighs in at nearly 4400 lbs............

I guess this new pump has woken the old workhorse back up, before the Jeep would squawk the inside rear if you got on it too hard leaving a corner, now it stays lit till you get back off the gas!

Last edited:
yeah that's all fine and dandy if you wanna race. but the nice thing about the 4.0L is that it had low end torque, not tire frying horsepower.

when you're doing finesse wheeling in off-camber situations and rock piles, you want low end torque and controlled power, not just pedal to the metal power.

that's why i think the new engine is junk for a jeep. my wife and me already looked at the 07wranglers, and we both agree that we could fit a 4.0L back in there if/when we buy one.

casm said:
This is why I want to move to America. Well, that and no-BS gun laws.

Move on up to the UP. If the vehicle runs its allowed on the road, most household in the area have multiple guns and if you want one its as easy as watching the local classifieds for a week or two.

Back