• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aerobed's new backpacking mattress

It's 5lbs!!!!!! Not what I would call backpacking equipment. It's an interesting option for people who don't go backcountry for reasons that require that much cushion, but insignificant for the high majority of backpackers.

I thought you were going to post up the x-frame:
http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products/ineriaxframe.html
IntertiaXFrame_445x260.jpg

I tested one of those in the store. Blew my mind. The spaces also allow your bag to keep its loft=more insulation.

It's 5lbs!!!!!! Not what I would call backpacking equipment. It's an interesting option for people who don't go backcountry for reasons that require that much cushion, but insignificant for the high majority of backpackers.

I thought you were going to post up the x-frame:
http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products/ineriaxframe.html
IntertiaXFrame_445x260.jpg

I tested one of those in the store. Blew my mind. The spaces also allow your bag to keep its loft=more insulation.

Good points.. i hadnt noticed or considered the weight. My backpacking days have been long over.

How about an excellent option for car campers with smaller tents or individual needs? :D

I have had a few Aerobeds now, love em. However, the larger size/style didnt fare well in below freezing temps for me. But those days seem numbered as well.

Would have jumped on one of these pacmats back when i used a single Thermarest in a ground tent.

Your welcome X.. if you get one give us your impression. My kid would probably like it.

That's sweet, and only 9.1 oz. I bet it packs up small too.

I picked up a 2 lb and change pad from steepandcheap.com a little while ago. $90 pad for $30 - how could I say no? (especially when I didn't already have a pad)

That's sweet, and only 9.1 oz. I bet it packs up small too.

I picked up a 2 lb and change pad from steepandcheap.com a little while ago. $90 pad for $30 - how could I say no? (especially when I didn't already have a pad)

The x-frame packs up tiny... a big selling point to me.

I have a thermarest z-lite, 10oz. It doesn't have as much cushion, but I hang in a hammock most nights in the backcountry, so all I really need a pad for is insulation. When I do sleep in a shelter or tent, the z-lite is enough for me.

Most backcountry nights I'm so tired I couldn't care less what I'm sleeping on, as long as it's not my feet!

Good points.. i hadnt noticed or considered the weight. My backpacking days have been long over.

How about an excellent option for car campers with smaller tents or individual needs? :D

I have had a few Aerobeds now, love em. However, the larger size/style didnt fare well in below freezing temps for me. But those days seem numbered as well.

It's an excellent option for a car camper, but what fun is car camping without someone to share the pad with! :) The storage tube/pump is ingenious.

I could see being miserable with an air mattress in cold temps. An insulated pad is the best way to go when you get down to freezing.

I could see being miserable with an air mattress in cold temps. An insulated pad is the best way to go when you get down to freezing.

This setup would be fine for summer or short pack trips and I do like the pump/storage tube idea, but my batting average isn't that great when comes to air matresses and sharp objects. And, a flat air mattres is useless.

The other problem is an air mattress sucks when its really cold. I went to the system promoted by Big Agnes out of Steamboat Springs. The bag has absolutely no insulation in the bottom. Instead the bag has a sleave that accepts an insulated self inflating pad. I used their system while moose hunting out of Fairbanks Alaska a few years ago. I slept on the ground for ten days in temps that reached below zero and enjoyed every minute of it. Their stuff is worth checking out.

Last edited:
as said above, the only problem I have with air mattress' is your stuck with a flat un-insulating mattress if/when you don't clear the ground of thorns, and other sharp objects.
I've used my foam z-rest many times and noticed when packing it there were a few thorns in it, wouldn't been the end of my thermarest.

but, when it comes to sleeping on snow/ice/frozen ground, I'll bring my thermarest over foam because it's just that much warmer.

I like the idea, but it seems a little too flimsy for me.

Great, now I'm looking at $300 sleeping bags......

Their stuff isn't cheap but I will vouch for the comfort and quality. One of my best friends moved to Alaska out of high school. He flew me out to the hunting camp he has with his buds there and helped me bag a 61 inch bull moose. At the end of the trip I gave him my 338 mag as a gift for all of his time and trouble. He told me to keep the gun, all he wanted was my sleeping bag and pad. I guess while everyone else was trying to get comfortable in their tents I was snoring along and sleeping better than anyone else in camp. Money well spent in my book. I will be using this same bag in Alaska again this fall when I go after Caribou.

This setup would be fine for summer or short pack trips and I do like the pump/storage tube idea, but my batting average isn't that great when comes to air matresses and sharp objects. And, a flat air mattres is useless.

The other problem is an air mattress sucks when its really cold. I went to the system promoted by Big Agnes out of Steamboat Springs. The bag has absolutely no insulation in the bottom. Instead the bag has a sleave that accepts an insulated self inflating pad. I used their system while moose hunting out of Fairbanks Alaska a few years ago. I slept on the ground for ten days in temps that reached below zero and enjoyed every minute of it. Their stuff is worth checking out.

I love Big Agnes tents. I have a buddy who is a local rep. When I have a legit reason for a new tent, I'll be headed straight towards the BA.

Any temp that I'm not bumming an insulated thermarest, I'll be sleeping with the no pressure point heaven that is the hammock.

as said above, the only problem I have with air mattress' is your stuck with a flat un-insulating mattress if/when you don't clear the ground of thorns, and other sharp objects.
I've used my foam z-rest many times and noticed when packing it there were a few thorns in it, wouldn't been the end of my thermarest.

but, when it comes to sleeping on snow/ice/frozen ground, I'll bring my thermarest over foam because it's just that much warmer.

I like the idea, but it seems a little too flimsy for me.

I have had similar situations with the z-rest. I don't worry about that thing at all, throw the pack around with it, snagging on branches, whatever... it's taken it. If it doesn't... inexpensive to replace. That's a huge benefit to a backpacker.

I love Big Agnes tents. I have a buddy who is a local rep. When I have a legit reason for a new tent, I'll be headed straight towards the BA.

Any temp that I'm not bumming an insulated thermarest, I'll be sleeping with the no pressure point heaven that is the hammock.

I have had similar situations with the z-rest. I don't worry about that thing at all, throw the pack around with it, snagging on branches, whatever... it's taken it. If it doesn't... inexpensive to replace. That's a huge benefit to a backpacker.

I like a hammock they are definitely comfy, but I spend a lot of time in remote back country and I have been visited too many times by both bears and even cats. With our lovely grizzly bears here in Wyoming, and hunting with Alaska’s Jurassic brown bears, a hammock is not really an option that allows quick access to a weapon. That and looking like a dangling snack kind of makes me nervous….call me chicken. I use the BA park series bags, not really a pack bag but the mule usually doesn’t care that much. These bags have lots of room and when yogi bear comes around either the 300 or the 44 can be reached easily.

I’ve been eyeing BA’s tents for a while my old North Face VE-25 has been a bullet proof tent, but it’s starting to show its age. I’ll probably wind up with either a BA or another NF four season tent this fall before I go after caribou. Right now BA is going to be my first choice, I like their service and products. Either way I have to keep my gear load to less than a hundred pounds or my buddy in Alaska will have me leaving things on the landing strip so his Piper can lift off.

Back