• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sleeping in an XJ

I did it a couple weekends ago. I took the bottom of the back seat out and laid it across the front seats that gave me another foot. I need a foam mat though. That crack will hurt ya after a while :D

Taking the bottom of the back seat out is a good idea, wish I'd thought of that a few times. At 6'1", I just can't quite stretch out with it in there.

Now I have roll-out drawers that I can't easily take out and chuck under the jeep. I have a plan though. I want to get 2 door front seats that flip forward, and build an elevated sleeping platform. I want to make it just high enough to clear the drawers, which is about 8". Yeah it will cut out some head room. I will make a section that unfolds forward so that when the front seats are pushed and flipped all the way forward, with the extra height, I can probably make the platform a foot longer.

Code:
\
 \
  \         hinge                  platform
   \=========0=============================
    \                      +--------------+
     \                    /     drawers   |
------         ========= /----------------+
front seat     folded
               backseat
Something like this. This drawing is not to scale. The idea is you flip the front of the platform up so the front seats can be moved back. Obviously some sort of vertical supports would be needed. I was also thinking of removing the back seat entirely and using the space under the platform for gear (or beer) storage.

Unless the weather really sucks, I'd generally rather sleep in a tent, it's just more spacious and it avoids having to move gear in and out of the Jeep every day. My tent only has two polls, fits a queen size mattress with room to spare, and takes 10 minutes to set up. Maybe a bit longer to blow up the mattress and make the bed. For one night trips though, especially if it involves a late arrival and early departure, I'd rather save the trouble of the tent.

I'd rather sleep on the ground than in one of the seats.

I removed all of my rear seat stuff in my XJ, and could easily sleep on the new platform.

DSCN0429.jpg

I have a roof top tent though, so thats where my wife and I sleep.

Here is the tent on top of my roof rack. Total weight is 90 pounds.
DSCN0537.jpg

DSCN0470.jpg

I dont have any pictures of it open on the Jeep, but here it is on my old truck. Takes about 2-3 minutes to open and "set-up" and about 5 minutes to fold it back up. Works like a champ and sleeps wonderfully. Some of the best money ive spent, but we do a lot of camping.

DSCN0218.jpg

DSCN0217.jpg

Is the roof tent really faster to set up than a regular tent?

Whats the real advantage to a roof tent? I guess if the ground is wet the tent is probably dryer. Also you don't have to have as big a flat spot, just enough to park the truck. Anything else? How much does a setup like that cost?

One disadvantage to a roof tent for me would be that I normally keep a lot of stuff on my roof, like my fullsize spare, hilift, shovel, fluids, camping gear, etc. Sometimes I envy my buddies with long bed tacomas, they can haul so much more camping stuff so much easier. At least I don't have a TJ though, I don't see how you can take one of those on a long camping trip without a trailer.

I like sleeping inside the vehicle mostly for heat, radio, security, dry, and out of the wind. Of course then you have to move all your stuff in and out a lot.

I like my ground tent setup because I got everything for super cheap at walmart. It's held up well too, I've had that tent for 4 years now and it's still in great shape. It doesn't rain often in San Diego so no problems with wet ground.

Yeah, its MUCH faster than a conventional ground tent. Once you get the pvc cover off the tent, I can literally be laying down and nodding off to sleep in about 1 minute. About the same time it takes to figure out what poles go where on a ground tent. I got my setup, the tent, lower changing/shower room, and 8 foot awning for about $700 dollars new here in Germany (I picked it up instead of having it shipped). Its the same company that makes them in the states. I beleive they are around $700 for just the tent in the US. Expensive? Yes, but when you camp as often as I do, it makes a big difference. When we go camping, we go all out. Here is the camp kitchen I built to give you an idea of what my version of camping/overland travel is...

DSCN0486.jpg

DSCN0490.jpg

DSCN0514.jpg

Here is a great video from the company that sells them in the US (In california I think??). It also shows why the roof tent is better at the end. It shows how the tent opens up. When you open it, its already put together. the only thing you have to do is install the spring steel poles for the doors if you want them open. Its only 3 minutes long, but has good info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otm50oCCgRI

RTT's arent for everyone. If you just camp on the occasional weekend maybe a once every few months, then the old faithful ground tent from walmart works just great.

I just dont see my XJ... roof holding up a 270lbs of me... just dont see it.

Im 6'2" and weigh 305 pounds. My wife weighs about 130, and we easily fit up there. It is mounted on the the gutters, not the actual roof. Believe me, it will hold just fine if you use gutters as a mounting point.

~James

Thats a pimpin kitchen! I could never fit it in my XJ with all the other junk I take camping though. Where do you stow it?

I put it on the passenger side of my rear storage. I just slide it in there when I leave, and tie it down. There is plenty of room left on the driverside rear for everything else. My fridge goes right behind my drivers seat. I can pack for a few weeks easily in the XJ, and longer if I want. There is plenty of room in the rear of these things, especially once you get rid of the rear seats.

DSCN0429.jpg

The beauty of having the kitchen is that everything fits securely inside, so I dont have to worry about finding a place for grills, pots, pans, utensils and dry food goods. My tent and sleeping materials (pillows, sleeping bags/blankets) all stay up in the tent. The only thing that really goes in the rear is the kitchen, fridge, recovery bag with all of my shackles/straps/pulley blocks/whatever, and my shower with its enclosure. I use a Zodi Extreme hot water shower. I usually have about 5-7 jerry cans that fit on the roof rack right in front of the tent that I usually carry gas, and water in. I remove them before doing any major wheeling though just to get some weight off of the roof. Its a good system so far!

~James

Last edited:
Stump: How is that in wind, or adverse conditions?

So far so good, its not your typical tent material (think of a breathable canvas). Its much thicker, and the poles inside are beefy and sturdily mounted. (I have hung a flat screen monitor/laptop from the ceiling poles with no sagging or anything) I have been in some 30-40 mph winds when I was camping in sweden by a large lake, and it held up fine. No rain leaked in, and the tent stayed put, even with the small awning style widows/doors.

I would MUCH rather be in this type of tent when it comes to rain or wind.

~James

Thanks, just asking because recently I camped (in a conventional tent) on a west facing shore of Lake Superior, and a storm came up (It is that time of year for that lake, and they get bad) It wasn't the most enjoyable experience ever.

can you post some pics of your dash stump?

Tied it once, put the rear seat down and threw some sleeping bags and pillows back there. Took a long time to finally fall asleep and woke up with a sore neck and back.

Anyone have any tips for staying comfortable?

How about heat, or staying cool? With gas prices the way they are, leaving it running overnight is no longer an option.

Yeah, I did that to. Woke up freezing my arse off. So what I did was find a nice used 24 foot RV with a big motor and stuck it on the front bumper. :)

lift it a little higher and throw a tarp under it and secure it, thats if you have oil leaks. if you dont then good sleepin

Back