• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifting into 4wd, newbee?

poorboy_616 said:
FAIL!!!!

No neutral is nuetral. No wheels locked together, if they lock, then somethings wrong......

It thought that its for towing the jeep on all 4 wheels, why would it lock them together lol.

I haven't had to use my 4hi yet... so to check this out should I go to a unpaved (gravel) parking lot and test this out there.

Also, why can you not use this on pavement?

poorboy_616 said:
FAIL!!!!

No neutral is nuetral. No wheels locked together, if they lock, then somethings wrong......

It's been discussed on here before. I have not personally tested this on my 95 but there were at least a FEW people who experienced all 4 wheels locked together when the tcase was in NEUTRAL.

The tcase was disconnected from the transmission, but the front and rear outputs were locked together, as in 4wd...

No, I wasn't dreaming when I mentioned that.

Blaine B. said:
It's been discussed on here before. I have not personally tested this on my 95 but there were at least a FEW people who experienced all 4 wheels locked together when the tcase was in NEUTRAL.

The tcase was disconnected from the transmission, but the front and rear outputs were locked together, as in 4wd...

No, I wasn't dreaming when I mentioned that.

ok i see what you mean.. but "locked" is indicative of something else.. i'll go check the one on the floor in the shop right now.

ok, the outputs remain connected while in N.. flat-towing shouldnt be a problem at all but a spooled rig wouldnt handle it well.

I also have problems dissengageing 4X4, usually a couple quick jolts of the gas gets it out, im not sure why it does this, im sure somone will elaborate

Wow your only supposed to shift into 4 hi from 2 hi at less than 20 mph ohhhhh dear. This is very very very untrue to get real speed out of the xj your have to be in 2 wheel drive and to climb anything neer vertcle you need 4x4 i have shifted from 2 to 4 hi at speeds of 80+. BS i hear you scream well heres the vid.

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/Jarvis_Pants/?action=view&current=Jeep.flv

Using 4 full time shouldn't use any more gas. The same parts are all turning, it's just that in 2WD, the road is what turns the front drivetrain
Also this is wrong 4x4 uses more gas as there is more friction so some more of the energy is lost as heat in the extra moving parts are driven. Its not much and with a gas guzzling engine like the xj has its probably barely noticable. But thought i would be padantic.

Jarvis

P.S. anyone who understands arabic please do not post the translation here... i know ... i know.

P.P.S. If anyones intrested there are other photos and videos on that photo bucket account of my trip on the Paris-Dakar race 2006. Lots of very sexy race trucks. Enjoy.

Last edited:
sorry to thread jack here but my question pertains to the original.....i have 86 xj with 2.5L and a 5spd.....for some reason altely i cant get into EITHER 4H or 4L....when i go into low sometimes it grinds a lil bit but i only get the rears to be "engaged" its like im in what would be 2L......
i get no 4WD light or anything even when it drives in the "2L" if you will....WTF?

You should have put the regular transmission in neutral first, then shifted the transfer case, then put the transmission in reverse. Back up about 10 feet, put the jeep in preferred gear and go as normal.

What you did was preload the drivetrain. Not good, but I'll bet you didn't hurt anything either.

Ever since I put 4.10's in my Jeep I've had this issue with needing to back up about 10ft or so to dis-engage 4wd. With the stock 3.07's it never was a problem.

I liked not having to do it, gave me alot more flexibility for moving between ranges and modes. Is there any way to get my drivetrain to stop pre-loading?

When it MAY be slick, I run 4H on highways and if needed I'll switch it to 2H for harder turns which are not slippery then back into 4H once straight.
Seems fine so far. I figure if I am not hearing it bind it is normal wear and tear.

Not sure what prompted this resurrection of an 11 year old post, but there's a LOT of bad information in the thread! Wow. Both the NP242 and NP231 can be shifted into and out of 4High while moving at legal speed...up to 55 mph. Just back off on the gas and shift. It's only when going into or out of 4Low that slow speed and the use of neutral is required. Your owner's manual will clarify and provide additional details. If you don't have the manual...look for it on-line!

Right. I've always been able to switch to 4H from 2 at speed (under 55mph per the manual). Getting back to 2 at speed usually requires me to downshift my AX15 when I'm in 4th or 5th.

Right. I've always been able to switch to 4H from 2 at speed (under 55mph per the manual). Getting back to 2 at speed usually requires me to downshift my AX15 when I'm in 4th or 5th.

Interesting.

Traveling South on I-77 in the dead of winter climbing those mountains in Virginia I shifted between 2H and 4H and back several times by letting up on the gas long enough to move the lever into the selection I want,... it took no longer than it would take to shift a manual transmission. For safety, I kept speeds below 60 MPH. I never touched the gear of the AW4 nor do I apply brakes.
In and out of 4L is a different story. If I am not moving, I put the AW4 in park. Moving at 5 MPH or less, I shift to 'N' until 4L is fully engaged then back to 'D'.

Yep. I think the key is that load has to be taken off the NP231 for it to disengage 4H. In the manual shifting does it (probably just the clutch action does it but I'd have to check).

But you have to baby 4L.

Back