• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another one of those Dana 44 leaking axle shaft seal threads

I'm interested in where you got this info? We do not re box anything unless the original packaging is damaged. For a long time Yukon would package other brands of gears in their boxes, I've even installed OE gears out of Yukon boxes, however they now only sell Yukon gears. This was on Randy's/Yukon, not ECGS. All parts we sell are authentic and from the manufacturer advertised. Now some axle kits may come in plain boxes, but that's because we purchase in bulk so we don't have the retail packaging.

You probably buy shafts by the crate since you sell pre-assembled axle assemblies.

Looks like worn shaft to me. Garter spring was intact.

It doesn't look like there's grooving or pitting in the pic, just the polished area, can you feel anything with your fingernail? You can probably just clean the seal surface with some 220 grit emery cloth and be fine if no groves or pits.

Did you check the breather?

Its hard to jam my fingernail in there so I used a small pick. Definitely feel an indent where the seal rides.

I bought the G2 axles up in Denver since it was faster than shipping. It comes with Timken bearings and CR seals. However, the retainer plates aren't right at least for the early 44's. There is a note on the 4WP website to this effect but I didn't see it until after I realized the holes don't like up :(. So it's cut the bearing and retainer off and do it again.

On a side note, has anyone tried using a press and bearing splitter to remove the bearing rather than cutting it off? The collar splits after a 3" cutoff wheel gets about 3/4 of the way through but the bearing is more of a headache...

On a side note, has anyone tried using a press and bearing splitter to remove the bearing rather than cutting it off? The collar splits after a 3" cutoff wheel gets about 3/4 of the way through but the bearing is more of a headache...

You can use a splitter and a press, but I usually just cut them. If you cut the cage off first, then cut the bearing 3/4 of the way (like the retainer), and air hammer with a chisel bit usually knocks the rest off easily, obviously watch hitting the seal surface with the hammer.

If you choose to try to press it, removing the retainer first will help a lot, and I cover/wrap the bearing with a rag so if the cage pops you aren't dealing with shrapnel.

Last edited:
Back