• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 Alternator upgrade?

Slo-Sho

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 laredo 4l with the Delco-Remy alternator. I've noticed it's almost identical to the GM unit used on the 3100 motors. Does anyone know of a higher amp unit that GM uses? Or can I use a 91+ xj alternator in my 90xj?

Yah. The ChryCo unit is externally regulated by the PCM, the Delco is internally regulated, with the regulator in the rear of the case.

It's possible to bypass the ChryCo internal regulator with an external unit, but I'm told it will "permanently" throw a code, and you might not pass inspection, either ("unauthorised alterations to vehicle" and "persistent OBD code.")

Rod will spin you a 140A alternator for $140 + shipping, or a 100A for $85 + shipping. Check out the site, give him a call.

I have to admit - not only does he do great work, but I'm trying to throw a little business his way. Why? To expand our options - so far, our only choice for high-amp units is Mean Green ($$$$$$$) or other custom houses ($$$$$) - and I think Rod can do better work for better prices. So, I'm trying to get our foot in the door there - once orders pick up, I can discuss other ideas with him...

5-90

Back