• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cargo area storage ideas

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
Did a fiarly thourough search and couldnt find anything of consequence. I am looking for some kind of rear storage idea that I can use for my tools, CO2 and extra parts.

I have looked at several different types of rear storage boxes, but none fit what I am looking for. I am looking for something that can be bolted down, but be removed if need be. Something that is easy to get to, and something that can be locked up.

Can you post up some pics, or give a description of what you are using for rear storage? I have seen one on Korda's site, but his is about the only one. I appreciate the help/info.

Fergie

http://home.earthlink.net/~jkorda/mods/box.html

Since this picture I've added handles and lockable latches (to keep the drawers from sliding in and out while driving)

box_doneinstalled.jpg

my box is about the same size as Korda's, built with 3/4 mdf and houses two 10" subs in the front portion, for the back cargo area I have a lid with a latch and provision for a padlock with velcro to keep it from rattling. covered it with a gray outdoor rated carpet. I can remove the box and want to bolt it down as well but havn't yet.

Don´t forget about the spare tire, with a 15" full rim hubcap. I´ve got a pair of long jumper cables, two tow straps, a tree saver and road flares packed in the spare, held in place by a hub cap, wiht the tire cover over the whole works.

I am in the proses of lining the cargo area of mine with sheet metal, then I will rino line it, one thing to be ware of is that the gas tank is right under the floor board, we were mounting a sub in my neighbor's xj, and used to long of a screw, finding and patching the hole was a beeotch.

Sorry to resurrect such an old post (I'm a forum mod on another board, I hate it when people do that), but I had a mounting question. After reading this I've decided I'm gonna just build my own storage box rather than plunking down the 275-300 for a 'professional' one. However, I want to be able to secure it (I read the other thread where the dude rolled his XJ and mentioned it was a good thing he had bolted his down), but I also want to be able to remove it with relative ease (ie I need to move something and need it out of the way). Has anyone integrated any sort of quick release into theirs? I was thinking maybe like the releases built into audio gear boxes (twist, pull to open). Anyone done this or have any tips for a beginner? I just got my XJ 2 weeks ago.

Dont worry about it, the crusty old farts on this board are too busy with 4-link discussions and such.

What I ended up doing was buying a large container from wally world that fits perfectly in the cargo area and hold everything I need.

Fergie

noid said:
Sorry to resurrect such an old post (I'm a forum mod on another board, I hate it when people do that), but I had a mounting question. After reading this I've decided I'm gonna just build my own storage box rather than plunking down the 275-300 for a 'professional' one. However, I want to be able to secure it (I read the other thread where the dude rolled his XJ and mentioned it was a good thing he had bolted his down), but I also want to be able to remove it with relative ease (ie I need to move something and need it out of the way). Has anyone integrated any sort of quick release into theirs? I was thinking maybe like the releases built into audio gear boxes (twist, pull to open). Anyone done this or have any tips for a beginner? I just got my XJ 2 weeks ago.
That wouldn't be me talking about being happy about being bolted down? :D Anyways, you can mount some small drings on both items and use a turnbuckle. ALso look into marine stores as they have whole bunch of different quick release latch mechanisms. Lastly you could put angle iron or just brackest sticking out and bolt things down and through... btw, stay away from sheetmetal screws as those get ripped out! I had 4 legs in my rack and the two legs that had sheetmetal screws moved towards the end of the roll (got ripped out) but the two bolted through held everything in (but probably not for much longer... I think one more rotation on the roll would have done it in)

I wouldn't build it out of particle board, too heavy AND in a roll over all the bolts holding it down will do you no good when the PB wants to become sawdust again. IMHO that is.

no plywood, mdf, or sheets of wood of any sory available here in Florida. Dang hurricanes. And guess what...there's another one due in about a week.

GREAT, GRAND, TERRIFIC!

I built mine to match the size of a rubber cargo mat I found at K-Mart. The top is hinged and in case I have a bunch of crap on top, the rear opens too. The latches are cam style locks from wooden shipping containers.

Jeep_RollBar1.jpg

Back