• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Bought a shitty-bilt bumper for the tow rig . I did so because I almost ate a deer last trip out to holycross. Anyway I'm looking to put a winch in there but don't want to spend Warn money on a 16-17k unit so I'm looking at the hobo freight and smittybilt winches does anyone here have personal experience with them ? I would think for a tow rig they would be more than reliable. I need a atleast a 16k unit so it's got enough juice to pull the truck and trailer with a snatch block if needed...lol... and a warn is crazy cash in those models .

To expand on that... any 6-8k cheaper models that is suitable for the Jeep?? Ya I’d like the best but as if I now I just need something that’ll help the heap along if need be.

On that note- someone here (seen at last year membership drive/ Pizza meet up in Longmont) has a sexy hidden winch bumper, with tube... lacking a tube bender I can’t copy it exactly but I love the hidden winch benefits. Out of the elements to a degree, more importantly better airflow to radiator and coolers, can make a stubby bumper for better approach angle, and well it just looks better imo... who was it??? Pics??? Issues? The Boostwerks and baddadfab offerings are definitely nice, integrated steering gear brace, but I just can’t spend that much coin on a bumper that isn’t even finished. Imo they look like shit if you don’t add to them, even just some tube.

Annnnd.... F¥€£ this smoke SUCKS!!!

To expand on that... any 6-8k cheaper models that is suitable for the Jeep?? Ya I’d like the best but as if I now I just need something that’ll help the heap along if need be.

On that note- someone here (seen at last year membership drive/ Pizza meet up in Longmont) has a sexy hidden winch bumper, with tube... lacking a tube bender I can’t copy it exactly but I love the hidden winch benefits. Out of the elements to a degree, more importantly better airflow to radiator and coolers, can make a stubby bumper for better approach angle, and well it just looks better imo... who was it??? Pics??? Issues? The Boostwerks and baddadfab offerings are definitely nice, integrated steering gear brace, but I just can’t spend that much coin on a bumper that isn’t even finished. Imo they look like shit if you don’t add to them, even just some tube.

Came down i25 around 0200 this morning and the fire was easily visible from the interstate around Wellington.

You want to see crazy prices...go price out full size truck bumpers . I don't have time to build a bumper for my dodge so I ended up buying one . I went with cheapest smittybilt m1 I got it new at much less than the usual price . It duesnt have a hoop that protects the headlights and grill but I can fix that with the bender before I paint match it to the dodge . Almost hit a deer last trail run so I figure it's cheapish insurance.

Looking at some heat shield material either lava shield or aluminium . Going to wrap the cross braces and towers to see if I can stop some of heat transfer into them that ends up slowly cooking my struts . I have no engine over heat issue just the heat build up into the struts I did notice with e fan ran continuous that side of the bay was noticeably cooler to touch . I'm debating on going with 3 heavy duty spal E fans to move more air through the bay at Idle and crawling since my engine is not overheating I think e fans might work better here . Anywho off to pick up an IR temp gun my plan is,to establish my base temp numbers in the bay and on the struts then add the heat shield and see what I get and go from there after that until I'm not killing the PTFE in the hoses and seals in the struts anymore...lol... coils are so much easier to deal with .

PTFE is Teflon, and is used to make frying pans slippery. Heat does not effect it. It's the other crap in the hoses that is effected. Speaking as a chef, and a chemist. :)

Lol... shit ! Got half way home after passing orielllys and my abs and park brake comes on the I see I have no speedometer and my exhaust brake has stopped working... pretty sure my rear abs speed sensor has shit the bed ...lol... well it's me so it's probably bad wiring somewhere not just simple sensor swap . But anyways it would have been nice had it did this before passing orielllys noe I gots to do it tomorrow before leaving town because Like the movie dirty Harry..." I gots to know "

Green jeep? I bet it was dutchvdub's. He had a build thread for it at some point.

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1143013

Think you are right! Good lookin out!!

Wasn't sure if most people cut out the front crossmember. Baddadfab keeps it, not sure if boostwerks does too. I AM sure that I want to buid something instead of pay 500 bucks though!

Looks like his winch is mounted to the front instead of the bottom, I will have to play with that thought while I add to my metal supply

Frank's wj tain't body perfect...lol... maybe ill wait until I back half it. I plan cut out from behind the front seats all the way back then just tube it in for my strut mounts . I plan to duplicate your rear cooling set up to open up the front a bit .

Boulder canyon is my 3td trail I want to hit by October. I need to do all of carnage without a winch. I've done everything but the waterfall without cable i know its capable doing it now . Then Penrose then boulder canyon. Then some fall Moab then comes out the cutting tools and it goes on a diet .

There's a very large gap between penrose and boulder. Like Justin said, come hit several others in this area before you go for that one.

PTFE is Teflon, and is used to make frying pans slippery. Heat does not effect it. It's the other crap in the hoses that is effected. Speaking as a chef, and a chemist. :)

Just what I was told about the hoses from Kirk at Jensen bros... I got all new hoses made up at hose werks . I still need to swap seals out of the struts and see what I can do to minimize the heat getting into the struts. Going to use some heat shielding on the towers and cross brace to see if I can Keep the heat out of those parts and ending up in the struts . Going to move some other crap around . But before I do to much I have a new infrared Milwaukee temp gun I want to see just exactly what the temps are not just feel . I suspect these deals were shit from factory because if these temps kill them then I don't see how one would wheel in Moab mid summer out in 105 degree days with them .

Its good to be back living at home in Colorado. Ran Redcone and Radical Hill. Fought overheating all day. Ended up swapping in a Heavy duty fan clutch from a ZJ. Haven't had time to check it out yet because I had a tcase issue and it would not shift into high range due to worn plastic sliders on the shift rail. Drove 4 hours to get home at 50mph and 4600rpm in 2 low. Ended up burning up the planetary gears. I have replacement parts and need to piece together a good tcase.

Got home after 7 days on the road to find the handy work of those that don't work for a living pinching off those that do as my passenger side window was shattered . It looks like the shit stain had a reason to stop and run off just after shattering the window as they didn't finish the job . I touched the shattered window and it broke into pieces . I do have glass coverage so I'm just going to let the shop do the window I already had to make time for the front which is a $500 windshield...lol... which is why I purchased glass coverage last time it broke.

Lol... maybe it part of a peaceful protest ?

If anyone has a ram 2500/3500 year 2006-2009 Fourwheeldrive hardware on EBay is selling winch ready smittybilt m1 bumper with led light pods now at $587 shipped to your door . I bought one last week it was $728 I thought that was cheap now they're under $600 . If you have prices full size truck bumpers the m1 at 1200-1400 is already the most affordable winch bumper at $ 587 shipped it's brand new it's basicly free considering the usual cost. They list 6 on hand.

Anyone recommend a good shop for diagnostics. I don't have a ton if time to trouble shoot my dodges mystery issue ... I lost my abs which shits off a lot of other stuff like my Speedo and exhaust brake. At the same time I only have reverse lights when key off with key on there is no power to the reverse light circuit. I have checked all 3 abs sensors and replaced the abs module with a used one, which I guess it could be bad since it's used but I suspect wiring some where and the no reverse lights witj key on seems odd . A good technician would probably find the issue in a few hours which is money well spent vs hunting. The issue is there are many shops where the "techs" aren't good ...;-)

Anyone know where to get electrical pinouts .I'm looking for the pinout in the abs control module on my ram . I lost abs and a few things and I have a strange no reverse lights issue as I have light a key off but no lights key on .This leads me to believe my issue at the and module and reverse light are related to key on power ...lol...but I don't know what pin on the abs control module is the key on and the way the wires go in they disappear making it impossible to really guess what pin they might go to. If I test and have all power sources I'll splurge and buy a new control module as the only thing that leaves to be faulty is the can bus which I don't have a scope to verify it's communicating but power and no workeee be good enough to gamble.

you can get a scope for 80$ unless your dead set on the computer. they are easy to use for this type of work and far less than the shop diagnostic fee.

Ive been using this archive.org for fsm purposes, maybe your truck will turn up if you google it, I just found this thing so not sure if its usually like this... free lol

Back