• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 rear main seal question

caz

NAXJA Forum User
Quick newbie question...
Someone recently informed me that it is a 1pc, not a 2pc seal on 2001's and that they are different than previous years. Is this correct or false information? All the part #'s I am seeing are 2pc seals and are listed to apply for 2001's too. Could someone verify this for me? Thanks!

Last edited:
caz said:
Quick newbie question...
Someone recently informed me that it is a 1pc, not a 2pc seal on 2001's and that they are different than previous years. Is this correct or false information? All the part #'s I am seeing are 2pc seals and are listed to apply for 2001's too. Could someone verify this for me? Thanks!

They were high. I just replaced mine in my 2001 about 4 months ago and it was the same 2 pc. as always.

I think your confused between the oil pan gasket and the RMS. The old style oil pan gaskets used to come in several pieces, this was changed to a one piece rubber gasket which seals much better. The RMS has always been two pieces, a top and bottom half.

you want the one piece oil pan gasket and the 00-01 specific two piece RMS. I believe it is felpro BS40183, double checking now.

edit: yes, it is BS40183. Earlier models take a BS40612. There is some parts catalog confusion over which one you want for a 2000; I'd bet on the 40183 on any engine equipped with a coil rail instead of a distributor+ignition coil from the factory.

And to bring this thread forward... The newer seal (BS40183) doesn't have the little "ears" on it. Do you still apply RTV to the corners? Help? Wish there was a good right up on a newer 4.0 RMS install. They all seem to pertain to the older ones. I just did my 91 and it went fine. Uses the older "eared" version but this new fangled stuff confuses me. :)

Reading that made my head hurt. :roflmao:

dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

Back