• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 Questions

cmahaff

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

My transfer case was making some pretty gnarly sounds. Almost like a rapid hammering or clanking. Mostly noted when turning in 4wheel PT or accelerating quickly in 4Wheel FT. I wish I had left the TC in longer to get more diagnostic info. I was hoping when I cracked it open it would be obvious what to do.

I'm hoping some folks can tell me the standard things to look at or replace.
The oil didn't have any plastic that I could see. And metal shavings looked minimum.
I will include a photo of the magnet. And a few other photos.

It looks pretty clean. I can't tell if the chain is stretched. I assume I might as well replace that since it's out.
But any other thought or info on what is a must to replace when it's out, or anything specific I should look at would be appreciated!

Thanks
Cullen
c7e50906ea66cae9dfec226c9e49c64c.jpg
10b96ab8054de0444a8dc4f4902fafa2.jpg
e1a29148c86d5e03c665e26f9df0e807.jpg
c1c49956c84fb01b8d86c57d0675f69f.jpg
5785070fc6419d3c965343e24ae371ff.jpg

Rebuilding it with a new chain and new bearing will most likely quiet it down.

Here is a link from Novak Conversions with what is involved:
https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np242

Here is a link Summit to kinda see what the master rebuild kit comes with:
1984 - 1995
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPZ-75883/applications/make/jeep/model/cherokee
1995 - 2001
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPZ-72206/applications/make/jeep/model/cherokee

The chain you will have to pick up separately.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cwa-83504575

You could also put in a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit that Advance Adapters offers. This is the best of the SYE kits I've used in the past.

Good luck on your NP242 rebuild and be sure to have fun :rof:

Popping or clunking under hard acceleration is very likely a stretched chain. Change out the shift fork tabs also, and check the shift fork itself for abnormal wear.

Since it is out and open, replace the chain with a top quality brand name part. No auto parts store brands, no OmixAda or Crown Automotive either.

I prefer BorgWarner Morse.

I sure hope I can quiet it down, It was undrivably loud!

Thank you for the links. I will get some parts ordered.
Are you talking about replacing all of the bearings, or one in particular?

It has been fun. But I'm better at tearing stuff apart than I am putting it back.

Good to hear that the noise I was experiencing might by typical of the chain. I'll find a reputable one

I'd also put in a new filter. Going through a rebuild of one. I didn't go with the NOVAK kit. Might have been a mistake. Whatever kit I went with didn't have all the parts or bearings. I did get a Hack-n-Tap from IRO.

Whatever kit I went with didn't have all the parts or bearings.
This is really common with tcase rebuild kits… not at tcases are built the same on long production runs… try to avoid damaging seals or bearing races in case you need to get a part number off them.

I'd change all the bearing that come with the Master bearing kit. For sure a quality chain from BorgWarner Morse is best.

I agree with xcm. Doing a complete tear down and inspecting all the other parts for wear is you best plan of action. Quit a bit of metal shaving picked up on that magnet for sure! Changing all worn parts results in the best rebuild.

75SV1 is spot on with cleaning out all the metal shavings in small places. Do Clean out the oil pump, tube, and filter end. Putting a new oil pump in there might be in order if worn out as well.

Like Tim_MN said. Check the folks and pads too. Source the best quality parts you can afford for you rebuild.

Here is a link of NP242 to help gauge costs involved.
https://www.4wheelparts.com/b/jeep-replacement-parts/xj-cherokee-np242-transfer-case/_/N-cm7kc

If too much is worn out, and cost prohibitive, then a remanufactured is best. In the past I buy mine TC's from Transfer Case Express. I found they got decent prices and know transfer cases.
http://www.transfercases.com/transfer-case-models.htm#Jeep

According to Novak that is "not" the correct chain.

This is really common with tcase rebuild kits… not at tcases are built the same on long production runs… try to avoid damaging seals or bearing races in case you need to get a part number off them.

I don't know. If I remember the kit I bought was about $130. Then I had to buy some other stuff. Also, I don't think I have the bearing for the tail shaft. So, you might want to factor that in and see if the NOVAK is 'complete'. If so, then you might be money ahead. Also, I think the filter was $8. Mine had some junk in it. The filer was clogged. I don't remember steel filings though. Also, you will need an internal snap ring plier set. Its not the one for the snap rings with the two ears with holes.

The Novak kit for the early 242 versions (242MR-1 for 87-93 builds with the wide input bearing) had all the necessary bearings. Surprisingly, it also came with a new filter.

The only thing really missing was 1 of 2 matching o-rings and the correct seal for the shifter. There was a shifter seal in the kit, but it was likely for a different year/configuration. They provided several front output seals, but I went with a different one that was closer to what I took off.

Those oil slingers go on the output shaft there are only there to keep dirt out of the output seal they do a good job probably a good idea to replace it they are called oil slingers other than do not swing oil unless the seal is leaking then I guess technically they would be a oil slinger

Back