• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket steering to replace stock

SeanSS

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to replace my stock steering stuff with something aftermarket.

Jeep is currently stock including suspension height.

Jeep will eventually get a 3-4.5" kit with 31-32" tires.

Wanting to replace my stock setup instead of investing into it.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

Currie Correctlinc hands down.

Yes, the Currie stuff is good, I have it. I also have a Dodge Durango steering box, junk yard purchase, much better than stock, direct bolt in, yet it is bigger, larger piston bore. a steering fluid cooler is also good to have. I have yet to add it, but friend has a cross brace to passenger side to hold the gear box. you will also want reinforced gear box mounts on frame.

stay away from AGR i.e. Steerco products, they sell junk, are rip off artists. I ended up having to dispute and win my credit card charges from these clowns. three failed pumps, and one junk gearbox One pump failed after about 4 miles, the other a couple days, the gear box came apart on the freeway on first test drive, lost steering. they shipped me junk cores, and never returned my calls nor emails about it, damn crooks! The owner Josh is a liar. even added extra charges to my card for who knows what, the charge did not match the invoice.

I'm in the same boat, currie/JKS is BIG money, I've been looking at cross-over steering, general consensus is that the stock style Y link pretty much sucks because your toe setting changes constantly with suspension cycle. Cavfab, bkfabworks, steinjager, ruffstuff specialties, JCR all make viable replacements. Some are even bolt in.

PM sent.

JIM.

Cavfab looks to be priced well. Hafta make sure itll work with stock suspension.

Looks like most of the crossover steering is better suited for 2" lifts and taller.

Cheap prices get you cheap parts. I doubt you would like that set-up.

Looking to replace my stock steering stuff with something aftermarket.

Jeep is currently stock including suspension height.

Jeep will eventually get a 3-4.5" kit with 31-32" tires.

Wanting to replace my stock setup instead of investing into it.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

WJ Pump and Durango box along with ZJ/solid tie rod and stock steering configuration. I ran this on my XJ and it did great and didn't cost me a fortune. Or just go WJ swap if your going to pay for Currie stuff. They make good stuff but for what it cost IMHO you're better going with a WJ set up. Better brakes along with better geometry overall.

stock steering... the first thing to let go is always going to be the tie rod. given your current build state, i just throw a ZJ tie rod on it and call it a day. that lastest me quite somet time. still bent them, and a a drag link or two, but it took a reasonable amount of abuse.

currie is nice.

WJ steering would be a very good long term upgrade to consider if you are looking at spending currie money.

I'm in the same boat, currie/JKS is BIG money, I've been looking at cross-over steering, general consensus is that the stock style Y link pretty much sucks because your toe setting changes constantly with suspension cycle. Cavfab, bkfabworks, steinjager, ruffstuff specialties, JCR all make viable replacements. Some are even bolt in.
you dont want crossover ("inverted T). the design is prone to tie rod roll and is quite annoying for street use. the little delron "fix" wears out, and doesnt last long.

the toe change is a non issue. your only seeing it in offroad situations where you arent moving very fast, and are usually on soft ground. not an issue in the rocks either. id take inverted Y over inverted T any day.

I guess i should have clarified, im wanting to replace my TRE's, drag link and tie rod.
Not interested in changing the gear box or power steering.

Keep it stock configuration and upgrade the tierod. At that tire size there's no need to get crazy.

locker up front?
how are you driving it?

if no rocks and no locker, the stock setup is likely fine. but OP asked for upgrades...

I did the WJ upgrade with new TRE's. IIRC i was into it about 3 or 400 by the time I got it done. keep that in mind when looking at the other setups. it's solid as a rock, but I didn't think it would cost that much for moderately beefier drag link and TR, with same y link setup. should be able to get crossover steering at that price.

Last edited:
locker up front?
how are you driving it?

if no rocks and no locker, the stock setup is likely fine. but OP asked for upgrades...

I did the WJ upgrade with new TRE's. IIRC i was into it about 3 or 400 by the time I got it done. keep that in mind when looking at the other setups. it's solid as a rock, but I didn't think it would cost that much for moderately beefier drag link and TR, with same y link setup. should be able to get crossover steering at that price.

Wow... that's a bargain for the WJ setup. I need to pick your brain on that.

Keep it stock configuration and upgrade the tierod. At that tire size there's no need to get crazy.

I agree. The v8 zj tie rod is a good stock upgrade. I ran that on 33s and never had an issue. Plus replacements are easy to get. Stock setup works fine for mild use.

Keep in mind a lot of the "1 ton" style setups also require you to ream your knuckles.

Just got done installing the DirtBound high clearance setup along with StinkyFab’s track bar relocation. Thoughts:

1. Up front is my only complaint: heims are a little clunky.
2. Body roll is considerably reduced (roll center is basically the center of the track bar, higher us better)
3. Steering is much tighter with noticeably reduced effort at low speed.
4. Stabilizer is unnecessary.
5. The toe change under bump on bombed out CA roads is gone.

Whatever you spend money on, unless it’s just a ZJ tie rod (which did fine on 31s, but locked on 33s+ I was re-centering it after every trip), get something that raises the steering to help get geometry back to stock. This assumes you can weld.

I threw the Synergy steering kit on my DD. 2-3" of lift, just didn't ever want to look at it again. Bolted right up and no complaints. Chrome-moly HT links, hard to get any better, stronger, or stiffer.

I would not ever recommend the currie kit. Unless they have been updated, a new kit was put on a stock class XJ car and the joint wore out in the first race and it is currie specific, can't find anything close at any parts store to replace it.

Granted this a 1 time experience but my only time dealing with the Currie setup and it's made me vary of it.

Like others have said, I would recommend simply upgrading to a V8 ZJ stock steering setup. Then in time, do the WJ knuckle swap and upgrade to cross over steering. I have had stock steering, ZJ Steering, Currie steering and now the WJ knuckle swap. ZJ is the best bang for your buck for a close to stock rig. WJ knuckle swap with the big brakes is the best I have found for a lifted rig that wheels.

V8 Steering on my XJ
397782_10151371855082066_480677615_n_zpsj4ggmahf.jpg

Here is my thread on my WJ steering - https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1154488

Back