• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 DTE gauge

XJ Fanatic

NAXJA Forum User
Got a 97 cherokee country and the DTE gauge is dropping like a rock after only driving 20 miles.

This morning I started off with 130 miles to DTE by the time I got home I was down to 88 miles. I left again about 30 minutes later and it showed up as 79 miles. I didnt even get a mile from my home (like after I turned) and it dropped to 70 miles. Got to where I was going (less than 1/2 mile) it was at 70. Parked for an hour or so and go to leave and it went down to 65 miles.

No after another quick less than 1/2 mile drive I am now down to 58 miles left! WTH is it with these things? FYI I did put a new fuel pump and unit in a month ago!

What should I look at oh wise ones of jeep wisdom?????

Does it really matter ? I have owned several 97-01 Cherokee with the Overhead Console, and the DTE is only an estimate, and is rather inaccurate.

The fuel gauge is pretty accurate. I have a feeling that my cluster maybe going out and or contacts are dirty (weekend project).

I know to some DTE doesn't matter much. But for me as I drive a pretty long distance for work it helps know at least with somewhat of a glimmer of hope how much further I can go.

With it wigging out it is hard to determine how much further I can push.

FYI this morning it started at 58 and dropped to 42 WTF seriously And the gas gauge is showing 3/4 of a tank left. And I only drove 1/4 of a mile to and from the store.

I find the DTE feature not very useful due to its inaccuracy. The OHC stays on the compass/temp feature. I know my Cherokees average mpg's, and the accuracy of the fuel gauge. A little quick math in my head and I have the necessary info. YMMV.

Does having a overhead console delete the "low fuel" light? On both of mine, the idiot light works great at telling me how much gas I have left. Once coming back from Sturgis I got 300 miles after the light came on!!!

I didn't phrase that right, I was at something like 220 miles when the light came on. I "almost" drained it empty at 300 miles. IIRC it took 19.5 gallons on fill-up!

Update! Just went for about an 8 mile round trip drive. after leaving the house DTE went down to 32 miles (not even 1/4 mile away). While sitting at a light the dammed thing went up to 51 miles DTE. Then a bit after after taking off from the light and turning it went to 48 miles DTE.

I know the DTE gauge is not serious in all jeepers eyes. I am more so needing info if I am having to hunt down a short or loose wire and if anyone has had the same problem and can give a starting place to look.

My XJ do not have DTE, too old I think. When does it change or most likely to change? My XJ fuel gage is all over the place, always. Taking off hard, going fast around a corner, going up hill or down hill all causes the gage to move someplace where it should not. However, when the low fuel light come on and stay on I know it is time to find a gas station. At that time it have less than 20 miles of fuel remaining at highway speed of less than 70 MPH. The fuel gage in my opinion is about 90% accurate if the XJ is on level ground and not moving.

I do not know how the DTE does it calculations but I would think that if it depends on the fuel sender to get the remaining fuel it could be sending you erroneous information.

The 1997-01 Low Fuel Warning light on the dash continues to operate as normal if there is an OHC installed. On my 2000 the light comes on when somewhere between 2-4 gallons remain in the tank.

Some of the OHC data is generated by PCM based on the OBD data. My 2000 Owners Manual states that OHC Distance to Empty is calculated and recalculated based upon the mpg data generated in the previous few minutes of driving. Thus, the data can be wildly variable and inaccurate depending on how you were recently driving. My neighbor had a V-8 Grand Cherokee and he could get the OHC to briefly show 0.0 mpg by flooring the gas from a dead stop.

I have also noticed that the OHC Trip Odometer and the instrument cluster Trip Odometer often disagree slightly about how far we have travelled.

Last edited:
Update!

So forget the DTE. I believe I may have more pressing issue. Temp shot way up almost peaking and the check gauges light came on. I got the jeep home and let it cool. Opened up the radiator cap and noticed that it was pretty low and there is gritty black soot around the cap and rim. Checked the over flow and found it to be BONE dry (not good). So I decided to check the plugs for water.

Although I did not see water on the plugs I did notice them pretty fouled up and with them only being about a month old it worries me. I also checked the oil for water, but again did not see any in the oil. It is due for a change anyway. I am concerned now that the head gasket is shot and needs to be changed.

I have noticed at times a little miss fire and little lack of acceleration, but other times it runs just fine.

Thoughts?

Back