• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tail light fuse blowing

Green Machine

NAXJA Forum User
hello everyone.....back at you all with another electrical problem!!!

Working on my '90 Laredo XJ Auto.

Ive never been able to get my rear running tail lights to work. I have brake lights, reverse lights, and turn signal lights but never had my running tail lights working.

today i pulled the 15 amp fuse from the box and it was blown. i tried replacing it and when i turned on my low beams it blew. i then installed a higher fuse....it kept blowing up until I got to 30.

at the 30 amp fuse it worked but i turned the car off and removed fuse immediately as i know its dangerous to have higher fuse than requested.

so my question to you all is this.....where are the grounds inside the vehicle that pertain to these lights? I know there must be a short but is it in the engine bay or interior of vehicle?

any guidance here would be most helpful!

thanks

Alright everyone.....After searching the bowels of Al Gore's Internet I've resolved the issue.

There apparently is a female ground at the rear hatch by the driver side speaker. When the previous owner replaced the speakers i guess he saw the female end and just plugged them in. Basically i just unplugged that connection and everything came back to life!!!

The connector basically looks exactly like the connectors for the license plate light. So if you take that down you will know what youre looking for. As mentioned above, its found on the driver side rear hatch around that speaker.

I hope this helps someone else in the future who encounters the problem.

Back