• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 with rust. How much is too much?

How much rust do you want to fix / pay to fix ? Does the selling price account for the cost of rust repairs ? Expect that the rust you see is only 1/2 of the rust that is present.

To answer, I am driving a 98 with more rust than that, but I didn't pay much for it.

They're asking $6500. IRO lift, 4.56 gearing, super 88 rear with chromaly axles, SYE and custom driveshaft, etc. But the rust is going to make me pass on it I'm pretty sure

Rockers are hard to judge. I saw one with some through rust of the rockers a few weeks back. The insides were clean. As suggested carpet pulled back, look above the muffler and the rear frame channels. Also, pull the plastic rear bumperettes. The passenger side rust out there a lot.

Yes they do! I couldn't figure out why I was getting so much dust in my 01, it had big holes behind the bumper caps and the rear bumper acted like a big funnel diverting dust directly into the passenger compartment!

Yes they do! I couldn't figure out why I was getting so much dust in my 01, it had big holes behind the bumper caps and the rear bumper acted like a big funnel diverting dust directly into the passenger compartment!

On my '98 I had a bunch of dirt in there. Scooped it out by hand fulls. My '00, I removed the bumper and hitch, as I was getting frame stiffeners welded in. Then I saw the passenger side rusted through a bit. I will be cut and folding them. It will match the IRO rear bumper. Then I plan to put some extensions, like AJ Offroads does with the tanker bumper.

I appreciate all the info and advice gents/ladies, I'm going to pass on this one and keep working on finding a clean one

I appreciate all the info and advice gents/ladies, I'm going to pass on this one and keep working on finding a clean one

A wise man.

Get the best body you can, it is the foundation of your Jeep. If you wheel hard, do the frame stiffener upgrade BEFORE bending and tweaking the jeep out of shape.

Back