• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering issues

frontman

NAXJA Forum User
Wanted to post up here before the tech boards. I have recently noticed a weird popping in my front end when turning right or left from center. It feels like the steering rolls over a cam from center to one side or the other. As far as the front end goes its a locked D30, I have stock track bar (is what I think is the problem), Teraflex tie rod and drag link, teraflex knuckles. on 33's. Dont know if it makes a difference but I also use 1" spacers on my wheels for clearance. Anyone ever have an issue like this. While I was only able to check alone I did look under the jeep and turned the wheel and it looks like the whole axle shifts from side to side about 1/2 to 1in when it goes from center to side to side.

Tricky to diagnose over the internet but if the axle is shifting side to side, I'd be thinking track bar.
When mine was going bad, I could look at the joint at the frame side and see it separate vertically when the wheel was turned.
Go get yourself a track bar with a 3/4" heim on the end. Beef!

id put money on the stock trackbar.

and put a 18mm wrench on all 4 trackbar mount bolts to see if its loose

and put a 18mm wrench on all 4 trackbar mount bolts to see if its loose
Thanx Jon I thought about just calling you this weekend cause i figured you would know with as many trades and upgrades as you have done. I also figured it was the trackbar since as I didnt add in the first post if I hit a bump at low speeds just right I get crazy death wobbles (like 30-35 mph). Do you still have the trackbar for sale from you newest jeep buy? Might take me a couple of weeks but I could use a beefier trackbar now I guess.

The only popping from the front that I had was due to bad Rubicon Express LCA bushings. It would pop on the driver's side during turns and over small bumps. New bushings did the trick.

if youre getting DW id start at the trackbar and lca and uca bushings and go from there. the lcas, ucas, and trackbar are the main things centering your front axle and thus your steering etc etc. (along with TREs on the tie rod and pitman arm)
with the DW ill put my money ont he trackbar

def check the track bar and bracket...I had the same issues and it was the bracket bolts.

Come to West Sac on Friday and I can help you track down what it really is. It is much easier to look and feel for movement with a helper.

It is much easier to look and feel for movement with a helper.

Yes, and even if you don't know what you are looking at or looking for. If you get someone to turn your wheel back and forth as you look/hold parts to see/feel where it is cumming from, and get a ball park idea on where to start fixing.

Sounds like a track bar issue, but popping could be the frame starting to fail. Also as you may know the axle side track bar mount is famous for ripping away from the axle as it is only welded on one side.

Thanx for all the help. I was able to get someone to sit and move the wheel for me while I looked> i found the problem. It was the lower trackbar bolt. It was alittle loose. Thanx again for the help everyone.

thats awesome. its always nice to figure out those annoying XJ pops. i just found mine yesterday after running boards crossing front to back 3 times, it is the driver side LCA jonny joint at the frame side belly pan that is moving back and forth ever so slightly and popping.

Back