• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front drive shaft hits exhaust flange

01whiteXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The front drive shaft hits the triangular exhaust pipe flange near the oil pan on my '01 XJ when the PS wheel is at full stuff. I've thought of a few things I could do to prevent this:

Miss align the front axel to the DS
Add more bump stop to limit travel and axel pull to the PS
Grind down / cut off part of the flange and weld if back up so it doesn't leak

Are there other options I should consider? I've see post were the drive shaft has dented the exhaust pipe at this location but the flange on the '01 CA emissions package if to strong.

Thanks for the advice.

Need more info,how much lift?What trackbar set-up are you running?What contol arms are you running?

This is a common problem. You can bumpstop it, lift it more, or just deal with the clanking. You can also take a ball pien hammer and clearance the pipe some more.

This is a common problem. You can bumpstop it, lift it more, or just deal with the clanking. You can also take a ball pien hammer and clearance the pipe some more.

yea. just persuade it with a BFH ... lol :listenmus
Why not address the issue,Ive been at 6"+ on my 2000 for over 8yrs now and never had this problem!Do you guys have a 97+?

more specifics:

The triangular exhaust flange as far as I know was only present on '01s with the CA emissions package. This is because there are two mini CATs on the headers. It can not be hammered out of the way.

I'm going to cut the flange down a bit more and add 1" hockey puck bump stops on top of the 3/4" ones already there.

If folks have other ideas let me know. I'd rather not misalign the front axle.

Lift is ~3.5 inches and track bar is adjustable. Lower control arms are 16" eye to eye (RE fixed w/ rubber bushings).

more specifics:

The triangular exhaust flange as far as I know was only present on '01s with the CA emissions package. This is because there are two mini CATs on the headers. It can not be hammered out of the way.

I'm going to cut the flange down a bit more and add 1" hockey puck bump stops on top of the 3/4" ones already there.

If folks have other ideas let me know. I'd rather not misalign the front axle.

Lift is ~3.5 inches and track bar is adjustable. Lower control arms are 16" eye to eye (RE fixed w/ rubber bushings).

3/4" bumpstops are not very much for a 3.5" lift. i would add atleast 2 hockey pucks, or even better, lift the front driverside tire(swaybar disconnected) until the flange hits the driveshaft and measure for the correct height bumpstop.

Back