NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 9th, 2019, 14:26
NAXJA Forum User

New steering column, no break lights 91 xj

I've got a 91 auto xj, the old steering column was loose and one day it locked up on me while driving. So i got a new column out of a 93 manual xj and everything works but the break lights.
i read somewhere that the circuit for the breaks run though the cruise control at lease on the 91-94 autos. I have the old column so can i put cruise control in my new manual column?
I'd prefer not to tighten and use the old column cause of it locking up lol
Also ive looked for quite awhile and i guess in my area finding 91-94 columns in a real pain so i guess ive got to figure out how to use the manual steering column and make the brake lights work, any help is appreciated
Old December 10th, 2019, 11:25
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: New steering column, no break lights 91 xj

The brake lamp switch is connected to the cruise control so that stepping on the brakes disengages the CC.

The brake lamp switch is typically located on/near the brake lever arm above the brake pedal. It is logical to assume the steering column work either damaged the switch, damaged the switch wiring, or the switch is for some reason improperly adjusted.

I would start trouble shooting at the brake lamp switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....