NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 6th, 2020, 21:17
NAXJA Forum User

Behind Cargo Area Panel Storage Space

On my 1990 XJ the passenger side rear cargo area panel, below the rear quarter window, well there is a lot of space behind that panel. The panel has a receased cubby hole molded into the panel, but it is small, not deep, and kind of useless. I want to cut that out and use the new opening to access the space behind the panel. I also want to make some sort of door or cover over the opening I cut. perhaps the cover made of press board covered with carpet.

How have you all fabricated a door or cover? I am thinking a removable cover rather than a hinged door. What kind of fasteners to hold the cover in place?

Have any of you added shelving or such in that space?

Ideas?

thanks!
Old July 7th, 2020, 09:57
NAXJA Member

Re: Behind Cargo Area Panel Storage Space

Might not be quite what you're looking for but a couple manufacturer I've seen make molle panels that attach in front of that cubby. Makes the cubby useable plus gives you added storage on the front of the molle panel.
Old July 7th, 2020, 11:09
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1990jeep View Post
On my 1990 XJ the passenger side rear cargo area panel, below the rear quarter window, well there is a lot of space behind that panel. The panel has a receased cubby hole molded into the panel, but it is small, not deep, and kind of useless. I want to cut that out and use the new opening to access the space behind the panel. I also want to make some sort of door or cover over the opening I cut. perhaps the cover made of press board covered with carpet.

How have you all fabricated a door or cover? I am thinking a removable cover rather than a hinged door. What kind of fasteners to hold the cover in place?

Have any of you added shelving or such in that space?

Ideas?

thanks!
Sheetmetal door with magnets would be a logical choice for me. Masonite would be an alternative door option, same fasteners.
Old July 8th, 2020, 04:37
NAXJA Forum User

I cut a 'one way' road sign to make the cubby a pocket and cut some molle loop holes in it. Free and useful.
Old July 8th, 2020, 05:49
NAXJA Forum User

That's where my sub-woofer goes!
https://www.quadratec.com/products/74136_7000.htm
Old July 8th, 2020, 07:34
NAXJA Member #920

As long as the body is intact in there, why not?

That said, any water intrusion into there (rusted lower quarters, quarter window leaks, etc.), introduces a possible risk of water/dirt/etc. getting into whatever you store in there.

Also, since that's where the tail light sub-harness connects into the main body harness, make sure you can still get to it, and that you don't crowd the tail light sockets themselves (those old ones stick out a bit from the light housings, as I'm sure you are aware).
Old July 8th, 2020, 09:04
NAXJA Forum User

my thought is use this place for automotive fluid storage, spare gear oil, atf, antifreeze, motor oil. and possibly for some tools. The driveside panel have my air compressor behind it, but there is no hatch on that side.
Old July 9th, 2020, 10:59
NAXJA Member #920

Ah. Not a bad idea - any leaks from the oil would help with rustproofing