NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 24th, 2020, 14:17
NAXJA Forum User

GM minivan air compressor

As a kid I remember hearing the compressor on my mom's Olds Silhouette kick on when we would load up the back.

I got to brainstorming about a small compressor for airing tires back up and thought about the possibility of pulling one of these from a JY. I have an old 2 gal Campbell Hausfield compressor that died so I fitted a HF 12v unit to it... but it sucks. It runs until it overheats, then shuts off. It only gets to 40 psi. So I'm wondering if those old minivan air suspension compressors were any better? Or maybe the Fords that had air suspension? I don't know. I tried finding out what pressure they run, but I haven't found an answer yet.

I'm thinking either nobody's thought of it and I'm about to go pull all the compressors out of the JY, or they run at too low of a pressure to be useful.
Old August 24th, 2020, 15:03
NAXJA Forum User

Re: GM minivan air compressor

Looks like the Crown Victoria (and associated models) compressor runs at 135 psi. I might need to try this out.
Old August 25th, 2020, 09:48
NAXJA Forum User

keep in mind it is not only pressure that matter, but also flow rate when filling the tires. 40 psi is more than enough pressure for many tires, but if the flow rate is low, it will take a long time to fill a big tire.

I assume the flow rate for a pump designed for airbag suspension in a car need not be high, the airbags are pretty low volume compared to a tire generally, but this is only an assumption on my unlearnt part.

so consider the flow rate too, often measured in cfm (cubic feet per minute)

it is no fun filling four tires at ten minutes each.

good luck.
Old August 25th, 2020, 11:28
NAXJA Member

Look into the York 210 compressors. Many old cars in junkyards have them. Mostly 70’s-80’s. I run one and it moves a lot of air. There are plenty write ups about them online.