NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 13th, 2014, 15:24
NAXJA Forum User

clayton 3 link and rear 4 link with under 6" of lift.

Ive got a 96 2 door 2WD that ill be converting to 4WD with 85 wagoneer d44 axles. Ive already bought a T&T front truss with only the drivers side UCA mount. I would really like to buy the clayton 3 link crossmember and rear components for the 4 link, but making my own links and using better joints. The question I want to ask is has anyone done a 3 link and/or rear 4 link on less than 6 inches of lift? I noticed clayton only offers their kits for lifts 6.5 inches and higher. I would really like to be around 4-5 inches max.
Old August 13th, 2014, 18:40
NAXJA Forum User

Re: clayton 3 link and rear 4 link with under 6" of lift.

im running 5.5" with clayton frame crossmembers and my own arms, have a friends xj with 5ish and clayton 4 link kit, regardless if you don't have bent rear uppers you will have to cut the floor a lot to clear them. besides that lift hight aint so much a issue. whats your beef with the johnny joints? ive yet to have a issue with running them.
Old August 13th, 2014, 18:40
NAXJA Forum User

He answered your questions better than I can
Old August 13th, 2014, 18:50
NAXJA Forum User

Ok so im nixing the rear 4 link plan, gonna go leafs. Still would like input on the front 3 link though
Old August 13th, 2014, 21:00
NAXJA Forum User

about 6/6.5 inches of actual lift, i have 3.5in axle tubes and spring perches that make i out to be that much.

the floor in the back is the issue with being low, you can just hammer it up or keep the lift around 6 which isn't that high at all. mine is on 37"s there, i'm 5'10" with work boots on and it's only an inch taller than me if that.

what's your deal with jonny joints?
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:52
NAXJA Forum User

she's a 'beut clark
Old August 14th, 2014, 17:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardo_67 View Post
the floor in the back is the issue with being low, you can just hammer it up or keep the lift around 6 which isn't that high at all. mine is on 37"s there, i'm 5'10" with work boots on and it's only an inch taller than me if that.

what's your deal with jonny joints?
at 4.5" or 6.5" hes gonna have to bumpstop the same for whatever tire hes running, so theres no need for him to be at 6.5" and if you would actually wheel you can feel the difference, especially with coils
Old August 15th, 2014, 16:27
NAXJA Forum User

As to the three link front. At 4.5" with 35's my upper arm issmashing into floor. Im running pass side 3rd. With a ballistic 3 link bracket i have to use the lowest of three mounting holes for arm seperation just to run setup.
I have acopyed clayton member. Buy theres sAve your time. Make arms. I used ballistic joints with 5/8 through hole on all 6 joints.
Whats claytons kit use for third link axle mounting. Bracet or stock rubber bushing. ???
Old August 15th, 2014, 18:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginalscion View Post
As to the three link front. At 4.5" with 35's my upper arm issmashing into floor. Im running pass side 3rd. With a ballistic 3 link bracket i have to use the lowest of three mounting holes for arm seperation just to run setup.
I have acopyed clayton member. Buy theres sAve your time. Make arms. I used ballistic joints with 5/8 through hole on all 6 joints.
Whats claytons kit use for third link axle mounting. Bracet or stock rubber bushing. ???
Thats the height I want to be at. How bad does it hit the floor? Is it only at full stuff, or at ride height that it hits the floor? I think the clayton kit uses a johnny joint bracket for 3rd link axle mount, but im going to use a bushing since that is what my truss is set up for.
Old August 16th, 2014, 16:23
NAXJA Forum User

At 4.5" in front upper arm only hits when stuffing it. I ll just let it keep making room it needs.
I dont like third link bracket close to hitting motor or body.
After playing with upper arm the plane that it moves in is effected by axle seperation of front arms. So the lower the axle side of upper arm is mounted the less likly for upper arm to hit floor. Also height at crossmember end will come into play.
Old August 17th, 2014, 09:06
NAXJA Forum User

Im at 4.5in with the clayton 3 link. My upper self clearanced a bit. Im still working on getting it dialed in but its not too bad. I will take a picture today and upload it. Im running my own links as well. So far its "clearance" right at the base of the transmission tunnel (which was first done as I was cyclibg the axle and it wasnt centered with the track bar. It may have got a little more but it doesnt affect anything), and I jad the axle walk a bit and it clearanced the down pipe. I blame most of this on my own retardation.

I also have the rear crossmember and skid plate but no 4 link. Ill take a picture but I imagine you could get the uppers in with minimal body work. Or just let the arms do their thing.

*im writing this with the assumption that this is on the way to being a trail rig that will see some abuse. My rig is trailered to and from the trail and is a beater in every sense of the word. I use it as a self teaching project for fab and welding so my acceptable clearncing iasues may not apply to you.
Old August 17th, 2014, 17:21
NAXJA Forum User

From under the XJ

Where it pushed up on the driver side

Zoomed in

Looking at the rear Clayton Xmember

My Beater AKA the Smurf Turd