NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 31st, 2009, 18:30
NAXJA Forum User

Cam Sensor on 2000 XJ

Where is the cam sensor located on a 2000 XJ 4.0?
Old December 31st, 2009, 20:59
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Cam Sensor on 2000 XJ

The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) on the 4.0L 6–cylinder engine is bolted to the top of the oil pump drive shaft assembly . The sensor and drive shaft assembly is located on the right side of the engine near the oil filter .
Old December 31st, 2009, 21:14
NAXJA Forum User

Picture where the distributor whould be on 99 and down models. Bolted in its place is the camshaft postion sensor.
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:17
NAXJA Forum User

That's easy. The big question is why you ask. Having problems?
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:41
NAXJA Forum User

P1391 code. Either my Crankshaft Position Sensor or my Camshaft Position Sensor is sending an intermittent signal and causes it to run horrible (after it warms up) then not run at all. I just changed the Crank sensor and it fixed nothing. Very frustrating. I've read every post on regarding this and can't seem to run it down. Any thoughts?
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:53
NAXJA Forum User

Did you try pouring water on the sensor when it is hot? It wouldn't be impossible to replace a CPK with another bad one. Not REAL likely though. You probably have not synchronized the CMP (cam sensor) with the toothpick method. I'll look for the link.

http://motorage.search-autoparts.com...30/article.pdf

Last edited by winterbeater; January 1st, 2010 at 12:56. Reason: found link
Old January 1st, 2010, 13:37
NAXJA Forum User

I read that article a few days ago. Thanks for posting it for me. It sounded hard for a very amateur mechanic. Do you think it is?
Old January 1st, 2010, 14:51
Freakish Hand Strength

DTC P1391 is "Intermittent loss of Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) or Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP)".

So the problem is with the CMP or CKP sensors or the wiring/wire plugs for those sensors.

The Camshaft Position Sensor is located in the distributor on all engines.

For this test, an analog (non-digital) voltmeter is needed. Do not remove the distributor connector from the distributor. Using small paper clips, insert them into the backside of the distributor wire harness connector to make contact with the terminals. Be sure that the connector is not damaged when inserting the paper clips. Attach voltmeter leads to these paper clips.
1Connect the positive (+) voltmeter lead into the sensor output wire. This is at done the distributor wire harness connector.
2-Connect the negative (-) voltmeter lead into the ground wire.
3-Set the voltmeter to the 15 Volt DC scale.
4-Remove distributor cap from distributor (two screws). Rotate (crank) the engine until the distributor rotor is approximately in the 11 o'clock position. The movable pulse ring should now be within the sensor pickup.
5-Turn ignition key to ON position. Voltmeter should read approximately 5.0 volts.
6-If voltage is not present, check the voltmeter leads for a good connection.
7-If voltage is still not present, check for voltage at the supply wire.
8-If 5 volts is not present at supply wire, check for voltage at PCM 32-way connector (cavity A-17). Leave the PCM connector connected for this test.
9-If voltage is still not present, perform vehicle test using the DRB scan tool.
10-If voltage is present at cavity A-17, but not at the supply wire:
A-Check continuity between the supply wire. This is checked between the distributor connector and cavity A-17 at the PCM. If continuity is not present, repair the harness as necessary.
B-Check for continuity between the camshaft position sensor output wire and cavity A-18 at the PCM. If continuity is not present, repair the harness as necessary.
C-Check for continuity between the ground circuit wire at the distributor connector and ground. If continuity is not present, repair the harness as necessary.
11-While observing the voltmeter, crank the engine with ignition switch. The voltmeter needle should fluctuate between 0 and 5 volts while the engine is cranking. This verifies that the camshaft position sensor in the distributor is operating properly and a sync pulse signal is being generated. If sync pulse signal is not present, replacement of the camshaft position sensor is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old January 1st, 2010, 15:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveybass View Post
I read that article a few days ago. Thanks for posting it for me. It sounded hard for a very amateur mechanic. Do you think it is?
Do you know how to bring the engine up to TDC for the #1 cylinder? You can definately do it with the proper instruction and patience.
Old January 1st, 2010, 22:26
NAXJA Forum User

I do not know how to do that. And, my Jeep is a 2000 and doesn't have a distributor.
Old January 4th, 2010, 21:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbeater View Post
Did you try pouring water on the sensor when it is hot? It wouldn't be impossible to replace a CPK with another bad one. Not REAL likely though. You probably have not synchronized the CMP (cam sensor) with the toothpick method. I'll look for the link.

http://motorage.search-autoparts.com...30/article.pdf
Why would I pour water on the sensor?