• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More shock extension or compression?

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
I have a RockKrawler 3 link 6" long arm setup in front (with 2" extended bumpstops) and currently have shocks that are 27.5" extended and 15.5" collapsed. The ride height is 21.5", so right now I have 6" of extension and compression available. My shocks are the limiting factor in axle droop right now and the coils will unseat about 3/4" with the shocks maxed out.

I was going to go with a longer shock that is 29.5" extended and 17.3" collapsed, leaving me with 8" of extension and 4" of compression. Do you think this is a better situation than what I have right now or worse?

I haven't been able to measure the exact lengths I need with the shocks disconnected yet because there is nothing big enough nearby for me to climb on to fully flex the suspension.

Thanks for the input!

This setup would be usable for rock crawling but the lack of up travel will get old quick. This setup will not work at all for high speed desert type stuff (you are a long way from any desert anyway). If you can mount the top of the shocks higher you can get back alot of up travel.

If the coil is unseating before the shock extends all the way, then you're fine. Anymore droop is almost unnecessary since once it unseats you're putting less and less weight on that tire the more you droop (at least with a coil).

6" of uptravel is plenty for rockcrawling. I even ran 4" on my D30 and never had a problem. I run about 5" now just because of the lower lower mounts on my D44.

If you're doing any kind of fast stuff then I can't speak to that. But DDin and rock crawling 4" is the minimum I would run. I never bottomed out on the road.

Me personally, I'd stick with what you have and save the money for other upgrades.

so, the consensus is to stick with what I have for now?

I prefer to do rock crawling and off-camber type things, but have to travel to get anything really worthwhile. Most stuff around here doesn't require much flex, but I want to have it for the times when I do make the trips and have some actual rocks to crawl, etc.

i think if you want longer shocks you'll have to adjust where your mounts are. you might be maxed out for stock shock locations.

Back