• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing the side moulding and spray paint

XJfire75

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm considering removing the side moulding but have a couple questions.

I repainted them a few months ago and I've got a little bit of spray paint under them where the adhesive is pulling off and where I didnt tape it off too good. So if I take them off how can I get the spray paint off without messing with my Jeeps paint? Ive heard acetone will work but would it damage the clear coat?

Also, whats the best way to take off the side moulding without scratches and scuffs? Ive got a heat gun but it seems like it'll still leave some adhesive and need to be scraped off.

Thanks

So you want to remove your molding and just have it body colored underneath?

That's going to be tough. Acetone usually removes the clearcoat and if you rub it too hard, you'll start getting through the color too. The moulding is going to leave adhesive residue even using a heat gun...in my experiences there's almost no way around it. I wouldn't pull off the molding unless you're going to paint it black, or something, on the bottom.

K thanks Bruce. I kinda like it but IDK.

Just thought Id yank it off if there was an easy way around it and gettign the paint off wouldnt be too hard on the original paint.

use mineral spirits lightly to take off the remainder after using a hair dryer or heat gun to remove the majority.... works like a charm.. did it to 3 different XJ's already...

Back